Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 20:16:47 GMT

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 07:35:56PM +0000, Joe Comeau wrote:
I was thinking whoever touches it automatically gets equiped with it, so
your only choices are to pick it up or leave it (or position another unit to
grab it).  As for when you find out what it does, I kind of like the idea of
not knowing until someone picks it up...that's the problem with magic, you
never know what'll happen when you start tinkering with these things.  And,
yes, items can be a liability as well as a boon, although nothing should be
able to kill a unit outright, just by picking it up.  Ideally, a magic item
is both a liability and a boon, but that's up to whomever creates the items.

I'm all for this approach.  One thing to note though - if you are
already wearing a chainmail, you just wouldn't be able to touch that
glowing piece of platemail on the ground, unless you remove the armor
you're wearing beforehand.  right?

Also, this leads to (amusing) self-mutilating figs, that chop off their
hand to get rid of that annoying magic ring... :)

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com