Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:49:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Jonathan Dallas writes:
Yeah-- I could of course see someone unsportsmanlike (say, Shaun) making 1
character with magic 40CP plate armor, one character with a magic 40CP
sword, and one who was a 50CP base character with crazy SP's, then just
having his armor & sword characters give their weapons to the 50CP
character. Shame on you, Shaun for even thinking that.

So what is really wrong with this concept?  If Shaun made an army of
servants and one warrior, I could keep him stuck in one place for the entire
game by using an SP power.

Well, ok, a magic plate armor and sword aren't good examples, but let's just
say a mega-powerful character doesn't need to worry much about where on the
board he is. Consider Neil's necromancer. Ouch.

Anyway, should go without saying that there's no switching weapons &
equipment except where it would make sense (like if your squad of troopers
kills an opposing magic-sword-wielder and one of them drops his short sword
in exchange for the magic one)

We could also make the weapons themselves have an AV level allowing them to
be targeted and destroyed.

They actually already have AV for most things-- It depends on what material
the item is made from. Somewhere in the beginning of the trooper's arsenal,
IIRC. Although I don't think there are rules about modifying the AV of a
weapon. As for targeting, I assume it would count under the 'smaller than a
minifig head' for most things.

- Neil's death knight chewing through 2 squads of our troops without blinking
- Joe's TL2 dual-chakrum-thrower-hero, who mowed down squads at a whim
- Most TL5+ games, where troopers were more-or-less useless (being why we
decided we liked more troop-intensive games)
- One of my crazy-knights being ganged up on by *4* of Neil's troops, who in
turn killed *3* of them (on *Neil's* turn nonetheless)
- Eric J's TL2 giants swooshing through innocent troopers at a whim

Forgot one.  Dave's Panzer destroying Jon's entire squad in one turn.

Heh, I probably forgot a bunch :) Actually, another good one was Shaun's
powerful unit blowing up in a hallway and consequently causing ... how many
troops' deaths?

I like that idea-- perhaps any unit with an AV greater than some number gets
turned into a hit-point unit?

I would say an AV and or an SP greater than some number. That way Shaun
could have his troops give up there weapons to one warrior.  That warrior
would then convert to hit points for the rest of the game.

Well, the idea being that the extra equipment would theoretically have magic
to increase the unit's total AV. So his AV would jump from, say, 10 to 50,
and then he'd need to convert.

Now with the hit points, do we want to prevent the use of healing elixer?

Hmm... good question. I think I'd probably opt for one or more of

- healing over time (say... 3HP per round?)
- majik mediks
- healing potions (same as whatever mediks use, but SP applied to a potion)

I'm not sure I'm against healing potions, since you'd need to make a potion
be pretty powerful to fully-heal a unit. Plus (assumedly), it takes a full
turn to drink the potion, so that unit is incapacitated for the turn. I
would say it's an all-or-nothing thing. So no "I'm gonna drink 1/2 of it,
and save the next 1/2 for later". That way if you want to splurge on healing
potions, that's just more you could have spent elsewhere.

In *FACT*... Hmm. Maybe you're not allowed to give healing potions to other
characters, so the points alloted to the potions just count towards the 50CP
total? That would prevent a quasi medic running around handing out potions,
too. Hmm...

DaveE