Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 21:36:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
... oh, enough already

I was thinking how cool it would be that *any* unit in posession of a
magical object reaps its benefits.  The exception would be a book of spells
(which needs to be read).  But if you found a red mystical gem, you would
receive the ability to cast a fire spell with, say, a total of 9 SP (for
example).  You could even "stack" them potentially, so two objects of the
same type increases the power (although not doubling it).  You could give
this gem to another unit and you most definitely can lose it if the unit is
slain and your opponent picks it up.  A magical sword would clearly give the
unit some sort of enhanced attack, yet does not do anything for it's armor.
Units could use up to two unique magic-granting items at the same time

Oops!  Sorry, I didn't mean to get so wrapped up.  Of course anybody could pick
up a magical sword, chalice, amulet, talisman, armor, shield, plunger, or what
have you ... but spellbooks, with things like fireballs and levitate and stuff
like that, could only be utilized by the literate.  Similarly, you probably
wouldn't hand that kick-butt sword to a magic user, who doesn't have any
special combat bonuses or anything.

In general I'm not a huge fan of objects that can cast spells (or provide their
users the innate ability to).  I'm much more partial to objects that see
magical bonuses - like a sword imbued with a magical sense of balance that
provide a skill bonus to use, and a magical edge that keeps a razor's sharpness
adding to the damage.  Or, to use a popular example, a sword that glows blue in
the presence of orcs or goblins.  I'd prefer consistent and ongoing effects,
properties that were magically imbued into the weapon (which, by the way, is
not mutually exclusive with the notion of SP ... the power can be drained
through excessive use during a single turn!), versus a tongue ring that allows
the user to launch fireballs whenever they'd like.  Seems like that sort of
usage would need to be wielded by someone who had spent some time studying
magic specifically.

Anyway, just some small coinage for your perusal.  Feel free to overrule!

-s