Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:12:58 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
<SNIP>

... can't let you guys have all the fun now ...

Anyway, here's my thoughts:

I like the 50 CP total limit per character ... that allowed for a ton of
creativity, but prevented any trooper from being overly powerful.  And it's a
nice balance .. the stronger you make a character magic-wise, the weaker you
may want to make them physically, to get points for SP.  Reminds me of D&D,
where wizards were physically pansies, but powerful nonetheless.

I'd also advocate the 1000 CP limit be per person :P  I have a whole army
scored up - about 120 troops all told, I think, maybe a little less - and the
total is 2500, WITHOUT counting a whole bunch of extras - catapult, ballista,
war elephant, and a few guys from a few other races.  That's just a total for
*troops*.

I suppose, if pressed, I can get my total down to 1000 CP via massive layoffs.
Especially once we split into teams, so we can start formulating plans on who
supplies what types and numbers of troops ...

As for scenery: I told Joe that I recently built a huge tower - it's about 6 or
7 stories tall, each story about 10 bricks high.  It's not that wide (16 studs?
18?), but each floor is accessible.  I also built it without any drawbridges,
closable doors, or gates, since that would make it waaaayyy too valuable as a
fortification.  As it stands, it's cool scenery and a swell place to frolic
around.  I'll take some pictures of it this weekend to post.

I also built another patented Rock Outcropping, which I'm quite pleased with.
I tried to model it on that baseplate with the curved road, and the high
embankment.  I basically did it the same way Joe described - grey and dark
grey, with brown and green highlights and some scattered foliage.

Lastly - do we want to try and incorporate multiple objectives?  I think some
our most successful games have been when there have been multiple "objects" to
hunt down, worth various points, for example.  A single objective might simply
lead to a full-frontal engagement ... which is worthwhile in and of itself, of
course ...

How about this?  What if we also scattered gold around the field?  Collecting
it could be used to do such interesting things as (a) buy the allegiance of
peasants, enemy troops, etc, (b) purchase various goods or equipment or siege
weapons or magical  weapons upgrades at indestructible depots, (c) or other
money-related things.  It could also count for value at the end of the game -
if you spent it, you might have been more successful in some objectives.  If
you saved it, it counts as treasure that adds to your "score", much like the
various colored 1x1 tiles did.  Just ideas :P

-s