Re: When the world was young...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:38:28 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
Woa...it's to bad they don't make any in green and brown, but we can easily
add bits and pieces of earth and vegitation once the general structure it
there.

I'll have to see what I can dig up... I've been sorting my basic bricks now
that the Hoth base is down-- All the grey & white we could want. Tan, Green,
& Brown are great for scenery, though... maybe if we get a 'basic' idea for
a layout we can try and allot chunks of it for people to build? Hmm... I
wonder how much I could do with those colors. I'll have to check.

I guess I should say I'm envisioning characters being about as powerful
(maybe a bit more) than the superheros in the Super-game we played a while
back; which were mostly 27CP (base) + a max of 23 CP's spent on SP's.

Actually, yes...any unit should be limited to a maximum of 50 CP that is
utilizing SP, including the cost of the unit itself is what I was thinking
(but didn't state that way), but a true cap specifically on SP for a given
unit/weapon is probably a better idea.

Ah, ok :) That works much better... Just making sure we don't have champions
or whatnot floating around that cost base 60 CP + 50 CP's spent on SP's on
top of that or anything.

What we don't want is a cheezy way
of getting around the rule by creating an SP unit of 50 CP then designing a
magical weapon of 50 CP, thus creating a 100 CP unit with unstopable power.
BUT, there should be some flexability here.

Yeah-- I could of course see someone unsportsmanlike (say, Shaun) making 1
character with magic 40CP plate armor, one character with a magic 40CP
sword, and one who was a 50CP base character with crazy SP's, then just
having his armor & sword characters give their weapons to the 50CP
character. Shame on you, Shaun for even thinking that.

Anyway, should go without saying that there's no switching weapons &
equipment except where it would make sense (like if your squad of troopers
kills an opposing magic-sword-wielder and one of them drops his short sword
in exchange for the magic one)

Brikwars tends to favor larger numbers of weaker units than fewer, more
powerful ones.

Huh... I always kinda thought the opposite-- Vehicles and mass-power units
often seem to dominate the game, although squads can be useful at times. I'm
just reminded of:

- Neil's death knight chewing through 2 squads of our troops without blinking
- Joe's TL2 dual-chakrum-thrower-hero, who mowed down squads at a whim
- Most TL5+ games, where troopers were more-or-less useless (being why we
  decided we liked more troop-intensive games)
- One of my crazy-knights being ganged up on by *4* of Neil's troops, who in
  turn killed *3* of them (on *Neil's* turn nonetheless)
- Eric J's TL2 giants swooshing through innocent troopers at a whim

I do have a race in
mind for the game that will cost a bit of CP and will utilize some SP...if I
decide I only need a small amount of SP, it seems imposing an arbitrary
limit of total CP causes issues (ballistae can easily cost more than that).

Yeah, it's difficult since I'd like to allow, say, a race of X who each have
like 5 SP's, and be able to use them as though they were regular troops, but
I also want to ensure there's no cheaty-type-super-units.

Also, we may want to decide to use the hitpoint option for any SP unit (or
any powerful unit, regardless of whether they use SP) to ensure that a horde
of unorganized regular units can still take down a more powerful one.  I
think this gets around the invulnerable-unit issue.

I like that idea-- perhaps any unit with an AV greater than some number gets
turned into a hit-point unit?

Note on the sword-- if it's more or less "up for grabs", it'll go pretty
quick, is my guess. Spend a bunch of points on hover-flight like Ram Man and
people can go right in and snatch it. Hmm... I'm thinking 'traps'. Or some
3rd party guard who you don't want to take on all alone...

Well, Agot was wise.  I'm sure when he sealed the castle, he placed a few
wards in and around the castle and the Sword itself :)  Again, I think this
is an opportunity for everyone to create some potentially hazardous
situation which we roll against.  This keeps it random and also prevents one
person/team from knowing everything that lies ahead.

That works :)

DaveE