 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 207
Re: New VLC Logo Idea -- TLC's reply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 05:02:04 GMT

dear Robin (and any others who are reading this):

Robin Sather <robinsather@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Comments are inlined (please excuse any disparaging remarks ...)

1. We discourage the use of images of something that looks very similar • to
our bricks in any logos.  Especially when it is given so much prominence • in
the logo. With the lettering on the knob, your brick looks at first • glance
exactly like one of our bricks.

That kinda was the idea ...

perhaps I should have sent this to the Lego companies conceptual artist
rather than legal department.  Creativity does not seem to abound in that
direction and land any understanding of the concept.

(Note - LUGNET does not have any writing on
their knobs and the image of the connecting bricks is much smaller.) Your
brick makes your logo look like it is an official logo of the LEGO Group.

Why thank you    ;-)

any true Lego fan knows exactly what the Lego logo really is, and those who
are not Lego fans, will not care one way or the other.

If you really want to use a brick-like image, it would need to be a lot
smaller, less like a LEGO brick, with no lettering on the top of the knob
and you would need to include a disclaimer (see below).

I'll come up with some alternatives.  Suggestions?

how about using a 1x2 brick -- that has not been registered yet.  Or change
the letter V into some kind of a Lego brick appearance.

2. As it stands now, we have a registered trademark in the photographed
image of our 1x1 and the dotted outline of our 1x1.  If you really want • to
use a brick-like image, you will need to include a disclaimer right under
the logo (maybe off to the side) which states: "LEGO(R) and the brick
configuration are trademarks of the LEGO Group.  The LEGO Group does not
sponsor or endorse this Club."

Not likely.  We'll just change the logo.

rather full of themselves, are they?  I wonder if the legal department
realizes that we're responsible for his paychecks.

3.  "LEGO Club" should be written as "LEGO(R) Club" with the Circle R
registration mark following the word LEGO because the word LEGO is a
trademark.  Since you would like to use LEGO as a word mark, I would also
recommend using the disclaimer I mentioned above.

I'll put the "(R)" in there (much smaller, of course), but are we
actually required to have the disclaimer "right under the logo" each
time we use the word "Lego".  I think that's a little crazy.  I would
think that having the disclaimer prominently displayed on the home
page of the website would be sufficient, no?

he said that he recommends, and therefore we do not have to.  I do agree
with putting the little registered symbol.

I addressed many of these same issues with Tim Courtney from LDraw when • he
was designing the logo for the posters he used at Kidvention in July.  He
agreed to remove LDraw from the knobs and use smaller • images/representations
of bricks that looked less like LEGO bricks.

The Ldraw logo has a stylized  red 2 x 3 brick that is quite obviously
a Lego brick (minus the writing on the studs), and is the primary
image in the logo.  I don't quite understand the above statement.
Granted, in very fine print, Tim has put appropriate disclaimers below
the logo itself.  Doesn't look as good in my opinion.

just because one individual will collapse beneath the weight of the Lego
Company's lawyers, does not mean we have to do the exact same thing.

There are numerous examples of obvious brick shapes in logos.  Look at
Lugnet's "Cool Lego Site of the Week", for instance.  Look at many of
the other lego clubs on the web.  Many of the web ring logos are
actual original TLC models, etc.  Too many examples to list.

just goes to show you exactly how "in the know" the Lego Company's lawyers
are.  Perhaps we never should've brought this to their attention.  But
there's no point in debating what has been done.

Please let me know what you plan to do and if you have any questions.
I really appreciate you checking with us before you proceeded to use the
logo.

At least we get that much credit :-)

but not much more.  What I would like to do cannot be mentioned ;-)

But seriously... we can turn this around into something constructive

Here's another idea.  To avoid the requirement of a disclaimer for the
logo itself, we could use a more abstract shape for the brick, yet
still have it identifiable.

Furthermore, and this is just a thought, we could change the name of
the club to something that doesn't include the word "Lego".  Some
ideas; "Vancouver Builders Club", "Vancouver Brick Builders", the
"B.C.B.C." (British Columbia Brick [or Builders] Club).  Suggestions?

personally, I do not wish to concede that point.  We are Lego enthusiasts,
and very proud ones at that.  The amount of Lego that our club alone
purchases (thanks mostly to Kevin) is astronomical!  We are walking talking
advertisements.  How many people have each of us converted into Lego
enthusiasts who in turn buy tons of Lego and so on...

<Begin Lego philosophy rant mode> ...

Just a thought.  I really dislike all the legalese crap.  Necessary, I
know, in today's business climate, but it just takes away from the
innocent enjoyment of my favourite toy, and to me Lego is still
primarily a toy, not a corporation.  At some point with this kind of
stuff, I lose the "fun", and it gets a little too much like real life,
and I've already got plenty of that  ;-).

in the meantime, we can settle on a new design incorporating some of the
Lego companies legal requirements.  I can then formulate a cogent reply
expressing our views with a certain amount of passion and persuasion.  With
this be acceptable?  Our only other alternative is to ignore their request,
choose a logo we want and deal with it if and when we ever have to.
Personally, I would rather try and persuade them to our point of view and
remind them that their paychecks emanate from our investment.

Xandria

<End Lego philosophy rant mode>

Robin