 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 202
Re: New VLC Logo Idea -- TLC's reply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:58:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dear Alexandria -

Thank you for forwarding the URL location of your proposed logo to me.
I apologize that it has taken me so long to get back to you.

I have reviewed the logo and have several comments.

1. We discourage the use of images of something that looks very similar to
our bricks in any logos.  Especially when it is given so much prominence in
the logo. With the lettering on the knob, your brick looks at first glance
exactly like one of our bricks. (Note - LUGNET does not have any writing on
their knobs and the image of the connecting bricks is much smaller.) Your
brick makes your logo look like it is an official logo of the LEGO Group.

If you really want to use a brick-like image, it would need to be a lot
smaller, less like a LEGO brick, with no lettering on the top of the knob
and you would need to include a disclaimer (see below).

2. As it stands now, we have a registered trademark in the photographed
image of our 1x1 and the dotted outline of our 1x1.  If you really want to
use a brick-like image, you will need to include a disclaimer right under
the logo (maybe off to the side) which states: "LEGO(R) and the brick
configuration are trademarks of the LEGO Group.  The LEGO Group does not
sponsor or endorse this Club."  Because you would not be using an actual
image of a LEGO brick, but a representation of one, you would NOT need to
add our standard disclaimer language which states: "The LEGO elements are
used here with permission."

3.  "LEGO Club" should be written as "LEGO(R) Club" with the Circle R
registration mark following the word LEGO because the word LEGO is a
trademark.  Since you would like to use LEGO as a word mark, I would also
recommend using the disclaimer I mentioned above.

I addressed many of these same issues with Tim Courtney from LDraw when he
was designing the logo for the posters he used at Kidvention in July.  He
agreed to remove LDraw from the knobs and use smaller images/representations
of bricks that looked less like LEGO bricks.

Please let me know what you plan to do and if you have any questions.
I really appreciate you checking with us before you proceeded to use the
logo.

Play well!

Corporate Counsel
LEGO Systems, Inc.