 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5816
5815  |  5817
Subject:
18 V Converter--was Re: Who here remembers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:17:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:

<snip>

Dave K

Arrrhgghhhhh!!!  My FTP server isn't working and I'm stuck at work!!!!

Grrr!!!!!!

I have absolutely *huge* news and I can't upload pics!!!!

So when I get home tonite, I upload then...

http://sparky.i989.net/mmisc.htm

In the meantime, let me endeavour to try an explanation

!!!Standard disclaimer!!!

I am not responsible for *any* damage incurred to you, your person, persons
around you, the dog next door, or any of your LEGO elements.  If you try
this, you do so at your own risk.

That said, here we go:

For clarity, let's use compass directions N, E, S, W.

First get a 2x6 brick or plate, doesn't matter and make sure it lies across
the E-W line.

West        East

  X X X X X X

  X X X X X X

Then take a standard LEGO wire, connect one plate to east end of the 2x6,
with the wire out on the West side.

  X X X X O O
        ===
  X X X X O O

Connect the other end of the LEGO wire to the West side of the 2x6, making
sure the wire out is on the West side.

  O O X X O O
===     ===
  O O X X O O

You should see a 2x2 space between the two electrical plates, with the wire
from the east plate in there, but no worries about that.

There, that's the hard part

Get another wire--this will connect to battery box #1

Connect the battery box wire to the East electrical plate, but only on the
western studs, making sure that the wire out is facing North.

  O O X BIB O
===
  O O X B B O

Yet another wire enters the picture.  This will connect to battery box #2

Connect the second battery box wire to the West electrical plate, but only
on the eastern studs, making sure that the wire out is facing North.

     I   I
     I   I
  O bIb BIB O
===
  O b b B B O

The last wire, are you ready for it? is the 18 volt out wire and goes right
on top, dead center, with the wire facing either east or west, matters not.

     I   I
     I   I
  O bIP PIB O
===     ===
  O b P P B O

When all is said and done, you should have yourself a nifty looking pyramid
of electrical plates and wires hanging out where they will.

9v in   9v in
     I   I
     I   I
  O bIP PIB O
===     ======== 18 v out
  O b P P B O

As you may have noticed, the 2x6 brick or plate is only for building on--you
don't really need it, but it helps to have a foundation upon which to build.

If you are like me, your battery box wire connector is usually connected so
that the wire goes straight out, as in directly away from the push buttons.
If this is the case, then the battery box switches on both boxes should be
turned on the same way--i.e. both switches pressed on the left side, or both
switches pressed on the right side.  If you're worried, get yourself a
little voltmeter from Radioshack and check the voltages.

For non ascii pictures of this mess, see my website later tonite

Oh one more thing--I have no idea if someone else has done this--I was so
thrilled when I reduced the 18v converter to this--but if someone else has
already done this, nicely done!

Dave K.