 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5827
Re: Who here remembers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:29:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:

DO NOT modify your battery box or you WILL be disqualified!!!

I can't resist... Chris, if your rtl 13 robot makes no attempt at climbing
the box, then you WILL be disqualified!!!

Resistance is futile!  Build a fully functioning 'bot or no banter from you!
One year!!

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/images/robots/projX/series.jpg

It looks as if it's modified from the 18 volt converter that Chirs has in
the link above, but Rob uses a wire connector instead of the bottom
baseplate in the original.  I can see most of it but I don't know what Rob's
doing for the other end of the wire connector--it's hidden by plates!

Yeah. I started with the 18 volt converter posted on the web and modified
it. I was using my 1x2 electric plates elsewhere, so I had to improvise. It
turned out that using a short wire worked well because the connectors are 2
plates tall to begin with. The wire then replaced the 2x8 electric plate on
the bottom of my converter. And the magical 18v output went straight to the
polarity switch with a 2x4 electric plate. Other than that, I think my
converter is pretty much the same as the one on that website.

Rob, if you read this anytime soon and want to give me some pointers, I'd
appreciate it before I go blowing up batteries and motors ;)

Well, you could play it safe and use some weak batteries in your 'booster'
pack. I ran my compressor at about 11-12 V this way. It was enough to make
the motors sing, but nothing too excessive :)
I guess this info is redundant now that you discovered a simpler way to make
the connection. I thought the converter could be simplified when building
it, but I didn't bother trying. I was too busy tweaking my project X robot
at the time.

Yeah, the innspration hit--first I got the converter down to one 2x4
electrical plate with the 3 wires (2 for battery boxes, one that loops
across the bottom) but then I noticed that hte electrical plate was
redundant and could be removed.  The good bit about the 2x4 velectrical
plate is that the 2 battery box wires and the 18 volt out wire can be placed
in a row

     I   I   I
     I   I   I
  O bIb PIP BIB O
===
  O b b P P B B O

the 2x4 electric plate goes under half of the b's and under half of the B's,
and the P sits right in the middle, whilst the jumper 'cable' is connected
to the bottom of the battery wires in the same fashion as in my previous
diagram.  In this situation, the b, P, B are completely interchangeable,
i.e. it doesn't matter which wire goes to the out and which 2 go to the
battery boxes, though you have to be careful which way you switch on the
battery boxes.

I'm glad you are playing with pneumatics again :) They are a lot of fun, but
aren't well suited to mobile robots because of all the subsystems required.

Oh wait for it, just wait for it :) (if 'it' indeed, works ;) )

If you are looking for good compressor, I highly recommend Jennifer Clark's
design which I have a link to on my eXpedite page. The best thing about it
is that its direct drive (no gears). The configuration is the same as Ralph
Hempel's compressor that offers the best performance acording to Mr. C.S
Soh's tests.

On it--snivved directly from your eXpediate 'bot and elsewhere--two motors,
4 mini-pumps on cams and a pressure off switch--verry nice.  Yeah, I'll have
to thank alotta folks if this does work.

The pump switching mechanism is taken from a close scrutiny of your switches
from eXpediate--was tough seeing thru all that black but I managed and now
have the switching set up.

Here's a quesiton--I notice that the pnu switches have the connector on 'em
and that this connector also hits the touch sensor.  What I notice after a
while is that the connector 'migrates' up the pnu valve and no longer closes
the touch sensor--did this happen to you?

As well, did you let the motor run the valve past the touch sensor so it
that it then detect the other touch sensor on the other side?  Were your
valves always eitehr to the left or right or were there times when you
wanted them centered?  I find that to get the pnu switch off the touch
sensor brings it very close to opening the valve one way or the other.
Anyway, ideas 'n stuff.

So you've got me curious. Are the pneumatics for rtl 13? I really like the
concept of the game. At first I had no idea how my robot was going to climb
the box. After some more thought, I know exactly how I'm going to do it, and
I even have a name for the robot! Hopefully I can get started over
Christmas. But my firefighting robot may take priority.
Rob

This is just me goofing around.  My artl13 'bot is a plan in my head.
Actually I have two possible ways of completing the task so we shall see
what transpires.  I just may end up building both to see if I can get each
idea working.  Maybe I'll get pics up when I start building.

Thanks again for the inspration and help, Rob!

Dave K