 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5829
Re: Who here remembers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:33:17 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:

Yeah, the innspration hit--first I got the converter down to one 2x4
electrical plate with the 3 wires (2 for battery boxes, one that loops
across the bottom) but then I noticed that hte electrical plate was
redundant and could be removed.  The good bit about the 2x4 velectrical
plate is that the 2 battery box wires and the 18 volt out wire can be placed
in a row

    I   I   I
    I   I   I
O bIb PIP BIB O
===
O b b P P B B O

I look forward to seeing the pictures. I have never understood ASCII art :)

In this situation, the b, P, B are completely interchangeable,
i.e. it doesn't matter which wire goes to the out and which 2 go to the
battery boxes, though you have to be careful which way you switch on the
battery boxes.

Sounds like a definite improvement! I found that if the battery boxes are
switched on the wrong way, there is no harm done, but instead of 18v you get
almost 0v since they 'cancel' eachother. I switched my battery boxes on the
wrong way by accident many times. Thats why I ended up putting those red
1x1's on them :)

Oh wait for it, just wait for it :) (if 'it' indeed, works ;) )

Looking forward to 'it' :)

On it--snivved directly from your eXpediate 'bot and elsewhere--two motors,
4 mini-pumps on cams and a pressure off switch--verry nice.  Yeah, I'll have
to thank alotta folks if this does work.

Well, Not much of my pneumatic systems were entirely my own work either :)
The only things I can claim to be my own are the valve switching unit and
the red single acting cylinder with spring return.

The pump switching mechanism is taken from a close scrutiny of your switches
from eXpediate--was tough seeing thru all that black but I managed and now
have the switching set up.

Good. Sorry about the black, but it makes up nearly 80% of my parts. I want
to expand my 'pallette', but its not simple. Eventually I will make an Ldraw
model of the valve switcher.

Here's a quesiton--I notice that the pnu switches have the connector on 'em
and that this connector also hits the touch sensor.  What I notice after a
while is that the connector 'migrates' up the pnu valve and no longer closes
the touch sensor--did this happen to you?

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. I just went through a bunch of those parts
until I found a couple that fit tight enough. I think the black ones worked
better. If in need of a really tight conection, you could try this all Lego
hack: Cut some really thin slivers of pneumatic tubing, and place them in
one or more of the 'spaces' around the axle when shoving the connector on. I
did this on the lift arm of eXpedite to fix the two axles used as guides.
They had been sliding out, but after this treatment, they wouldn't budge!

As well, did you let the motor run the valve past the touch sensor so it
that it then detect the other touch sensor on the other side?  Were your
valves always eitehr to the left or right or were there times when you
wanted them centered?  I find that to get the pnu switch off the touch
sensor brings it very close to opening the valve one way or the other.

I never stopped the valve in its center position. The touch sensor was used
as a reference point halfway through the stroke. The code went something
like this:
OnFwd(pneu_motor);
until(pneu_sensor == 1);
Wait(switch_time);
Off(pneumotor);
Since the valves are operated via cranks, this code works for both opening
and closing a given valve. To control the other one, just reverse the motor.
Another reason I had the touch sensors in the middle was so I could hook up
a light sensor on the same port.

Thanks again for the inspration and help, Rob!

No Problem!
Rob