 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5826
Re: Who here remembers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 20:45:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:

DO NOT modify your battery box or you WILL be disqualified!!!

I can't resist... Chris, if your rtl 13 robot makes no attempt at climbing
the box, then you WILL be disqualified!!!

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:

http://www.ecf.utoronto.ca/~stehlik/images/robots/projX/series.jpg

It looks as if it's modified from the 18 volt converter that Chirs has in
the link above, but Rob uses a wire connector instead of the bottom
baseplate in the original.  I can see most of it but I don't know what Rob's
doing for the other end of the wire connector--it's hidden by plates!

Yeah. I started with the 18 volt converter posted on the web and modified
it. I was using my 1x2 electric plates elsewhere, so I had to improvise. It
turned out that using a short wire worked well because the connectors are 2
plates tall to begin with. The wire then replaced the 2x8 electric plate on
the bottom of my converter. And the magical 18v output went straight to the
polarity switch with a 2x4 electric plate. Other than that, I think my
converter is pretty much the same as the one on that website.

Rob, if you read this anytime soon and want to give me some pointers, I'd
appreciate it before I go blowing up batteries and motors ;)

Well, you could play it safe and use some weak batteries in your 'booster'
pack. I ran my compressor at about 11-12 V this way. It was enough to make
the motors sing, but nothing too excessive :)
I guess this info is redundant now that you discovered a simpler way to make
the connection. I thought the converter could be simplified when building
it, but I didn't bother trying. I was too busy tweaking my project X robot
at the time.
I'm glad you are playing with pneumatics again :) They are a lot of fun, but
aren't well suited to mobile robots because of all the subsystems required.
If you are looking for good compressor, I highly recommend Jennifer Clark's
design which I have a link to on my eXpedite page. The best thing about it
is that its direct drive (no gears). The configuration is the same as Ralph
Hempel's compressor that offers the best performance acording to Mr. C.S
Soh's tests.
So you've got me curious. Are the pneumatics for rtl 13? I really like the
concept of the game. At first I had no idea how my robot was going to climb
the box. After some more thought, I know exactly how I'm going to do it, and
I even have a name for the robot! Hopefully I can get started over
Christmas. But my firefighting robot may take priority.
Rob