 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5842
Re: Who here remembers... Nothing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:43:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:

see, now this bring up an interesting point.... is it worse to show up
with a crap robot, OR to show up with nothing at all???

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all."

I agree with Steve. But, the emphasis should be on trying. If someone sets
out right from the start to build a crap robot that doesn't even attempt to
solve the problem at hand, then I would rather they just leave it at home.
But I love seeing robots that genuinely try to solve the problem, and could
very well work given a bit more time. I am always inspired by Jeff VW's
creations. While they may not always work as planned, they always
incorporate some very unique ideas. I remember Jeff's robot for the bridge
building game. It had a hook attached to a string that would stop it at
exactly the right point when it had driven across the table. Now there was a
unique concept!
Rob