 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5848
Re: Who here remembers... Nothing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 05:28:31 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
I just want to clarify the issues at hand:
environment.  If there was an entry fee, there would be less participation,
and a greater incentive to play dishonest, and the stress level would be
much greater.

Where did the topic of entry fee come into play?   When was this an issue in
the thread?

We are here to have fun.  If Chris wants to make a useless 'bot.  Great.
But, I'm sure I (having no built no competition robots yet) speak for the
group when I say it was and is fun to poke fun at Chris for his current
robotic endevors.  This isn't to say that Chris hasn't produced some
decent robots in the past.

I think you only get to poke fun at someone unless you've proven yourself
capable of the challenges.

A couple other things to consider are: individual piece avaiability (well
for some), level of robotic skill (well most of you are pretty skilled
at robot building...there are some (like me) who are pretty well entry-level
when it comes to this, and the level of time available to put something
together (or put it together so that it meets our expectations).

Piece availability is a non issue really.  If you can afford a Mindstorms
and a PC to support it, it's pretty much a given you're in for the entire
deal, whatever pieces you'll need.  I don't think we have anyone who has the
sole RIS kit and no other pieces or other items.

The level of robotic skill is an issue we hear a lot but I'm not inclined to
tone down.  It's sort of like, we don't watch Food Network to see Chris make
two step chili, I watch it to see world class chefs and how they do their
thing.  I can't cook beyond instant noodles and egg salad, but that doesn't
stop me from being encouraged to try.  I think a lot of people have come
into the group and gone full throttle up to the level most of the events
are, and that's a good thing.  That's why we don't cater to simpler (sumo)
events anymore.

But that all said, that's not the question at hand that Rob is pointing out.
The whole issue is, "Does one show up with a robot half built" or not show
up at all (or show up without the half built robot).  Regardless of how many
pieces, how much skill or how little time you had.  Those are
inconsequential.  The only answer is, yes, show up with the half built one,
because you end up being inspired to try again next time.

Calum