 Off-Topic / Debate / 26275
Re: MADE IN CHINA?!?!!?!?! that's IT Lego Re: Lego changes CEO...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:21:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ka-On Lee wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Jeff Szklennik wrote:
Lego, you darn well better absolutely
NOT use slave labor & conditions!!!! (although that's probably what they're
counting on to cut costs by going to china.  I don't wanna hear about poor
abused children being forced into making one of the best toys invented FOR
children.  way to go Lego, you really tick me off.

That is some rather ignorant ranting.  Why would you expect those single kids,
spoiled by two parents and four grand parents, would be forced to work?  And
what is this "slave labor"?  Some cold war garbage?

Yes you really tick me off too.

I apologize, Ka-On Lee, for not making my point clearer.  I had no intention of speaking negatively of children. I was lamenting the tendency of large corporations to abuse what they see as less developed economies by using the most vulnerable in a society for VERY cheap labor in poor working conditions.  I admit, not all of China's labor force is slave labor, but i've read horror stories of large US toy companies (mattel & hasbro) & retailers (especially Wal*Mart, being the biggest, but not the only pne) being the cause of Chinese children & early teens (many being girls) to become, in effect, slave laborers in order to support their families, just so richer nations can have cheap conveniences.  Some US companies are so absolutely in pusuit of profit because consumers want cheap stuff, and don't care who gets abused to make it.  I REALLY try avoid the abusive companies/retailers, or if i deal with them, make sure the product is made somewhere else)   Basically, my point was that i don't want my favorite toy, a source of joy for me & many other adults & children, to be made BY children in slave labor conditions.  Thanks for calling me on my un-clearness b4

Jeff