 Off-Topic / Debate / 26273
Re: MADE IN CHINA?!?!!?!?! that's IT Lego Re: Lego changes CEO...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 18:53:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Noeckel wrote:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, and the majority of China's factory labor force is
upper-middle class, university educated!?!

No, but they've learned a lot over recent years.  They've set up huge
manufucturing districts, and the way it usually works is young adults will work
there for a few years, earn enough money in that time to go buy a small farm,
start up a family, and subsist off of whatever they can produce themselves for
the rest of their lives.

Bad factory environments exist in much of the Global South, and China in no
exception! Some generalizations are valid, simply because they still apply.

Are there still instances of child labor in China?  I'd be shocked and amazed if
there aren't, but I can say the same thing about the US, where there are still
underground slave rings that sell young children for sex.  BUT, there are enough
reputable manufacturing companies that TLC should be able to maintain full
legitimacy in their business dealings there.  Quality control is a much more
painfully significant issue in this case.  I once caught someone telling a
supplier in China that his customer needed them to adhere to strict quality
standards...and that this time they actually meant it.  That to me screams
"empty promises" in that regard.