 LEGO Company / 2409
Re: MADE IN CHINA?!?!!?!?! that's IT Lego Re: Lego changes CEO...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 03:56:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   as sad (wrong depending on how ones sees it) as it may sound that TLC is moving production to China it *IS* the way of this century. Expect to see a lot of this occuring for the rest of our lifetime! 1st world countries *CAN NOT* compete against the wages of those countries. That is off coruse the way of capitalism. I’m not saying it is wrong, that is just the way it is.

Actually, I don’t think it will save them much at all. Sea transport will now be across the atlantic, they have built the factories in Hungary, have the ones in Bulland (sp), ect. Cost to run the actual factories is relatively low in terms of personel. IIRC, when Enfield was closed, it used 1 person to run 34 molding machines. They would use more people where the molds are changed more often, but not many more. Probably not more than 3-4 people on the floor of the molding shop at a time. Having seen the packing display at LLCA, I would suspect a similar level of supervision amongst the packing machines. Meaning that the total on the floor people in a plant is like 8-10 at a time, plus service people. (Probably another 8-10 people). Given a 1 min mold cycle, and 8 pieces a mold, that gives you:

8x34x60x8 (one shift) =130560 bricks To cover the cost of the employees. I’d suspect that the shot time is rather less than a min for most elements. I’d also think that given inteligent design, those numbers have come down rather than gone up. The press release talks of overcapacity, not undercapacity.

Lego is a capital intensive operation, rather than a labour intensive one. Maximizes advantages of working in 1st world, minimizes advantages of 3rd world.

James Powell