 LEGO Company / 2431
Re: A Day in the Life (was:Re: Lego changes CEO after new losses_
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:33:36 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Thomas Main wrote:
   Well, I meant that as a joke.

Yeah, well, the joke stopped being funny about three years ago. About the time when they had to start up an entirely new production line just to keep up with consumer demand for BIONICLE product (don’t worry, they upped the price on Toa by a buck to cover the cost of the new equipment, so it’s not draining funds from other themes).

   I am aware that Bionicle is extremely sucessful. But your post did get me to thinking. Bionicle is such a strong brand by itself that as long as TLC is looking to sell properties to (I assume) raise cash...Bionicle would be a heck of a choice :P

Common sense says that when you’re trying to trim up your company to become profitable, you don’t drop the stuff that’s making money. The theme parks sound like they’re one of the big drains that needs to be plugged up, but getting rid of BIONICLE would put them deeper in the hole (not to mention the fact that in order to find a willing buyer, they’d probably have to bundle free or nearly-free use of the entire TECHNIC system in with it). WotC played this same game when Hasbro tried to trim them up, and it didn’t go over very well. They were told to cut expenses by a simple percentage, so what the top management did was go through and axe entire projects that they weren’t very fond of, rather than getting rid of the dead weight that was dragging them down. The result was that they were even less profitable since those ex-projects were actually bringing in a small profit, while some of the favored projects where bleeding like a stuck pig because various do-nothing friends had been hired into meaningless positions as personal favors. They screwed up when they were given the chance to handle it on their own, so Hasbro’s corporate people came in and did it for them. Or to them, in some cases.

Now, in WotC’s case, they were running the company like a giant frat party, but they had a couple of huge money-makers (Magic: The Addiction, and PokéCrack) that kept them profitable. In TLC’s case, they’re trying to run a clean company but market shifts are draining their profits while they try to figure out how to adjust. In either case, improving the company’s bottom line requires careful cost/benefit analysis, not cutting projects based solely on personal preference. After all, that could backfire on everyone. Perhaps the person left to make such decisions would feel that the Designer series isn’t glamorous enough for today’s market, and replace it with some flash-in-the-pan movie license.

The only thing they need to do with BIONICLE is start taking advantage of its full potential, by licensing it out to more than a scant handful of companies. Kids have been begging them for Halloween costumes since the line debuted, and they’re just finally producing two costumes, neither of which appear to come with the appropriate accessories (nor can you buy those specific weapons seperately). Another big request is something that could be used for a BIONICLE-themed birthday party, and all I’ve been able to suggest before now was buying mask packs as party favors, and seeing if they could get official permission to have a cake made using copyrighted characters.