 LEGO Company / 2425
Re: Lego changes CEO after new losses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:56:40 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jeff Findley wrote:

   I think they’d have better spent the money on LEGO stores throughought the US. I think stores where you can “pick a brick” would do much to increase sales.

I don’t know. It would nice to have one closer to Detroit, but there’s also the overhead of operating a bunch of physical stores. What are people’s impressions as to the success of these new stores?

I do think that PAB is a nice low investment way of enhancing the in-store shopping experience and for helping to motivate core sales, although I don’t feel it’s there to directly generate sizable revenue. My experience with the PAB wall has varied widely - from an almost madhouse free-for-all in Orlando to practically listening to crickets chirp in Schaumburg.

   More widespread “pick a brick” sales could be part of an overall strategy to make TLC more nimble and better able to respond to changes in demand. If demand for new sets changes and they’re left with some pieces that won’t make it into sets, just send them to all of the “pick a brick” stores and get rid of them.

How well that works might depend on the type of piece in question and the costs of adding it to the mix, as PAB seems to run best with a core palette of basic/highly versatile parts with a few specialized pieces thrown in. If the demand for a set fell far short of projections, I’d imagine recouping left over loose inventory wouldn’t do much to offset manufacturing, marketing, R&D, etc losses.

There is always the K8 option too.

Spencer