 LEGO Company / 2422
Re: Lego changes CEO after new losses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:26:04 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ted Michon wrote:

Spinning off the parks, or selling them outright, sounds ominous. It suggests a level of distress calling for drastic measures. I cannot imagine TLC divesting LL Billund because it’s so close, physically and emotionally, to the heart of the company and its history. But I could see LLCA gone in a hearbeat -- it’s a small kid theme park in very competitive market. Personally, that’s very sad. My wife and I just bought Ambassador passes only a few weeks ago. We aren’t interested in LLCA as a theme park, but as a link to TLC.

If I were taking LEGO back to basics (the recurring theme of the past 12 years), I would still want to push the Brand Retail concept in areas were it could be combined with multi-acre Minilands and special event centers. LEGO knows how to build bricks better than anyone else, but competing to make the better rollercoaster is a different ballgame.

I think they’d have better spent the money on LEGO stores throughought the US. I think stores where you can “pick a brick” would do much to increase sales.

More widespread “pick a brick” sales could be part of an overall strategy to make TLC more nimble and better able to respond to changes in demand. If demand for new sets changes and they’re left with some pieces that won’t make it into sets, just send them to all of the “pick a brick” stores and get rid of them.

Jeff