 LEGO Company / 2423
Re: Lego changes CEO after new losses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:40:40 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Adrian Egli wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
Hi,

Just noticed this press release:

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp?page=pressdetail&contentid=12504&countrycode=2057

Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen retires, and LEGOLAND parks will be a seperate company,
after new losses this year.

Arne, Copenhagen

Local news has gotten the story-

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20041022/news_1b22lego.html

Adr.

I thought this part of the article was completely off base:

   Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services,
   a consulting firm, said Legoland has a high-quality product but
   it appeals to a limited segment of the population: families with
   small children.

   "People have always had a good experience there," Speigel said.
   "It is a very narrow demographic. It does not appeal to teenagers
   or adults."

My guess is that this statement is based simply on data on the ages of visitors
to Legoland. and does not take into account the background of the parents.

My guess is that families who go to Legoland have at least one parent who is an
AFOL, or at the very lest, has fond memories of playing with LEGO as a child.
I'd like to know how many "families with young children" have at least one
parent who played with LEGO as a child.

My guess is that yes Legoland does appeal to a limited segment of the
population.  It appeals to parents who loved playing with LEGO as a child.

Jeff