 LEGO Company / 2433
Re: Lego changes CEO after new losses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:00:45 GMT

Follow-up: In the Danish TV News, in two interviews,
the new CEO said, that most of the production would probably be moved to China
(where Click-its and many parts are already made)
and
KKK said that the trouble for LEGO was that they had focused too much on growth,

I've worked with China before.  I hate dealing with them.  They wanted me to do
all this work, then trying to get paid was like squeezing blood from a stone.
Took me six months to get paid.  Chinese people are smart--but I have found a
rather unethical culture exists there.  It was pretty intense--it went up the
chain of command pretty quick--I had someone about two-three levels below the
CEO of company demanding payment from the China teams.

Didn't Lego win a lawsuit regarding patent/design infringement some time ago?
From what I've read, it's an ongoing thing that Lego keeps fighting Asian
knockoffs...and yet...they want to move more to Asia?  Doesn't this mean more
lawyers need to be employed...and doesn't that make operations more capital
intensive?

It is my personal opinion that Chinese business culture is that they
(manufacturing operation/company) agree to one thing and sign contracts, but are
highly willing to sell that stuff out the back door when nobody is looking.
That's when you see how smart they are--because they are very sneaky about not
getting caught.  I need to start documenting every time I see things like that
in the news.  I recall reading an article one time where a Hollywood movie
studio had a problem with a Chinese company that made the films to be
distributed to theaters, and were allegedly selling prints in China without
studio permission.

Sorry I have a personal bias against China, but the bias comes as a result of
dealing directly with them--their business culture needs to change to a more
business ethical-based culture before I will change my opinion of doing business
in China.

(The views expressed above do not represent the views of either of my employers)

Scott Lyttle