 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2681
Re: the whole truth and nothing but the truth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:24:30 GMT

A Dri-za-bone is also clothing. Its a large overcoat made of leather,
sometimes lined with wool.
It's actually oil impregnated canvas, refered to as oilskin (hence the
leather confusion). The driza-bone coat was originally designed for • riding,
and even had straps to hold it to the wearer's legs, although now several
designs are available.

The straps are very necessary because the damn things are so heavy that
people would try to take them off if they hadn't been forcibly strapped in.

Unless you were raised to wear one of these coats, you need to enroll in a
program of body-building before purchasing one, or else you are liable to
fall over while wearing it.

Incidently, I bought my "Akubra" hat in Finland. I was amazed to find that
in the north of Finland, they sell "traditional Finnish gold panners" hats
that appear to be identical to Akubras in shape and texture, so I bought
myself one. The only difference to Akubras is that the Finnish hats are
mostly black in colour, whereas most Akubras are brown, and my Finnish hat
has a bit of redr ibbon around the crown that probably wouldn't be
considered butch enough for the "boys in the bush". Having said that, most
Australians assume I am wearing an Akubra, as we are all collectively
convinced that such hats are uniquely Australian.

Kerry