 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2624
Re: the whole truth and nothing but the truth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 01:58:32 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Shiri Dori writes:
I totally understand what you're saying, and yet - look at the response so
far! "It's not exactly what I want, but I'll still probably buy acouple of
sets" seems to be the general consensus.

Oh yes.  This castle-pirate-and-space fan is thinking that the technic
sets that he missed getting on their initial release look pretty
tempting.  :^)

So if *this* is profitable for TLC
(and I think it will be!), I can only imagine how well-received older sets
will be. Seriously? I think TLC could jump its sales back to the levels of
its 1999 success (with SW and Mindstorms).

My thought is simply that the people likely to buy these sets are
the families who don't already own them -- and that by going further
and further back into time, LEGO would be offering sets that a larger
and larger majority of currently-buying families don't have.

My own thought is that there's a "sweet spot," an era of sets from
the late 80s and early 90s, that would sell outrageously well to
both AFOLs and kids.  The designs are old enough that the current
generation of kids would find them completely new, while not so
far afield of LEGO's current releases that they might seem too plain
to today's kids raised on 'special pieces.'  Although I'd be as
happy as anyone on LUGNET to see the Yellow Castle re-released, I
think that a 10 year old kid would probably generate more "buy-me-
this-please" noise for 6085 Black Monarch's Castle
( http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6085 ).

Again - an even *more* vigorous reply. This is pretty strong, and not as
lukewarm as I'd expect from the increasingly (although not entirely) cynical
and critical market feelings that us AFOLs tend to have of late.

I think most people are excited that this is happening at all!  We
all have dreams of particular sets that we missed out on.  And we're
happy about the idea of kids getting to choose from sets from earlier
eras.

Likewise! Although not all the sets are to my liking, I will definitely buy
an enchanted island set. I've always wanted that one! And hopefully this
trend will continue. Good luck and thanks a bunch!

Ooh!  Enjoy the Enchanted Island, Shiri!  That's a good one.  It mixes
well with the current adventurer sets, as a lost amazon or polynesian
tribe.  I'm glad to see that one making a reappearance!

//

Random thought -- Brad, I bet that a "customizable big pirate ship"
that you could order with your own choice of sail, flags, and
hull-colors might sell well.  I hope those customizable steam-train
engines you're currently offering sell like crazy!

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"