 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2601
Subject:
the whole truth and nothing but the truth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.lego.announce
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 18:27:07 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Yes, yes, the rumors are true!

We *will* be (re)issuing several "classic" sets later this year: three
Pirates items (Red Beard Runner, Armada Flagship, and Enchanted Island); two
Technic items (Pneumatic Front-End Loader and Forklift); the Octan Gas n'
Wash Express; and the Radio Control Racer.

All of these items will be available exclusively through LEGO Shop At Home
in North America and Europe (with the exception of Germany, where they will
also be available at some retail locations). We will begin taking advance
orders for these classic sets in July for delivery in early September.

The sets will be produced this summer and will have new packaging and set
numbers (that is, they are not old inventory that was just sitting around,
as some have suggested); they will be offered at or extremely close to their
original retail prices. In case you are wondering, these particular sets
were selected because as relatively recent (i.e. the last three years or so
for the most part) sets, the molds used for them are still available and
other production requirements could be met. We know that there is still
interest in items of this kind and we hope to bring back more classic items
in the future.

By the way, these classic items are *not* the "July Surprise" (and yes,
since you ask, there is indeed a July Surprise. And that's all you're going
to get out of me for now....)

I hope this clears up all that pesky speculation (and in a good way, I might
add).

Play Well,

-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct

Oh, yeah, one last thing: Bionicle launches tomorrow in North America -- and
LEGO Shop At Home has it first! You can order all the Toas, Turaga, and
masks now at LEGO.com; we'll start shipping them first thing in the morning.
(Because we're launching a bit early, our initial supplies are somewhat
limited, so if you want them now, you know what to do.)

Re: the whole truth and nothing but the truth
In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:

In case you are wondering, these particular sets
were selected because as relatively recent (i.e. the last three years or so
for the most part) sets, the molds used for them are still available and
other production requirements could be met. We know that there is still
interest in items of this kind and we hope to bring back more classic items
in the future.

Is there a reasonable chance that is these sets sell well enough, older
"classic sets" might also be re-issued?  I would imagine the number of parts
that would need to be re-tooled or replaced by other available pieces would be
small in any given set...

eric

[...]

Thank you for the reply and let me emit a sign of relief. The way the
conversation was running it sounded like I would have to ship the things
from Germany, the cost of which would ruin the point. And while some people
have said there are better pirate ships to rerelease, I'm glad to have any.
I'll let someone else order the Radio Control Racer.

Jonathan Lill

Re: the whole truth and nothing but the truth