 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2638
Re: the whole truth and nothing but the truth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 18:22:46 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Brad Justus writes:
Yes, yes, the rumors are true!

We *will* be (re)issuing several "classic" sets later this year: three
Pirates items (Red Beard Runner, Armada Flagship, and Enchanted Island); two
Technic items (Pneumatic Front-End Loader and Forklift); the Octan Gas n'
Wash Express; and the Radio Control Racer. • (snip)
-- Brad

Brad Justus
Senior Vice President, LEGO Direct

This is great news and I'm hoping that the move to (re)issue classic sets
will continue after this initial run.  I do hope that LEGO Direct will be
offering less expensive sets in the future, though.  If the prices are close
to what they were originally going for, the cheapest Pirate set is still
going to be in the neighborhood of $50 USD.  That's a bit expensive for your
average customer (read: child with a weekly allowance of $5 to $10 USD, but
that's probably not your target audience with these sets anyway).  If LEGO
Direct can bring back some Classic Castle, Space, Pirate, and Town sets that
sold for under $50 originally, then you at LEGO will have some very happy
customers.  Depending on what sets were actualy able to be brought back, I'm
thinking they'd be gobbled up pretty quickly.  By all means, keep the
expensive sets for the adults that can afford them, but please, if you can
find it in your power to do so, bring on the less expensive products.  I'd
buy all those re-issued sets if I could but I haven't had a job in over a
year... *sigh*...  are you hiring? =) hehehe, it was worth a shot. =)

~Nathan
http://www.castle-world.org