 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2625
Re: the whole truth and nothing but the truth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 02:15:09 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Jeff Thompson writes:
Oh yes.  This castle-pirate-and-space fan is thinking that the technic
sets that he missed getting on their initial release look pretty
tempting.  :^)

See? My point exactly. ;-)

My thought is simply that the people likely to buy these sets are
the families who don't already own them -- and that by going further
and further back into time, LEGO would be offering sets that a larger
and larger majority of currently-buying families don't have.

Yes, true. But AFOLs would probably still buy multiple copies of the sets
offered, maybe even if they already had one or two.

My own thought is that there's a "sweet spot," an era of sets from
the late 80s and early 90s, that would sell outrageously well to
both AFOLs and kids.  <snip> I
think that a 10 year old kid would probably generate more "buy-me-
this-please" noise for 6085 Black Monarch's Castle
( http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6085 ).

Oh, totally! Sets like 6086, 6081, 6074, even 6080... especially if sold
alongside small sets like <cough> 6041, <cough, cough> 6040, and <ahem> 6067
<cough, *cough*, sputter> would sell like hot cakes among AFOLs. And I think
a lot of families would be more inclined to buy smaller sets too - don't
forget that the smaller the set, the better chances the parent will be
willing to spare the money. Or that the kid will be able to save up for it.

Then again, these sets would obviously lose their high value if they would
be massively produced. But is that a bad thing? ;-)

I think most people are excited that this is happening at all!  We
all have dreams of particular sets that we missed out on.  And we're
happy about the idea of kids getting to choose from sets from earlier
eras.

Yup! I for one I'm psyched. And I hope this is only the beginning of a trend!

Ooh!  Enjoy the Enchanted Island, Shiri!  That's a good one.  It mixes
well with the current adventurer sets, as a lost amazon or polynesian
tribe.  I'm glad to see that one making a reappearance!

Yeah, me too! I've always wanted that'n, and I love the islander hair. Plus,
the baseplates are just too cool. I'm already starting to plan for putting
some money aside for that. ;-)

Random thought -- Brad, I bet that a "customizable big pirate ship"
that you could order with your own choice of sail, flags, and
hull-colors might sell well.  I hope those customizable steam-train
engines you're currently offering sell like crazy!

Oh, wow! What a great idea. That would be awesome. Here's to hoping Brad
takes on your offer. ;-)

Take care!
-Shiri