 LEGO Company / 1186
Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:59:00 GMT

hey Jake,

Dave had some good ideas.

to throw in my 2 cents.....

the # 1 thing you need is leadership.  PERIOD!!!

you can have a great bunch of guys, but if you don't have that one (or two)
person(s) to actually say, HEY the meeting is this
friday,  or if you do not have the person who gets off his butt and actually
books the library and pays the $$ to have the show,
then all the web space in the world will not help.

2. actively solicit for your members.   rtlToronto started off as me, and calum, and jeff.  and that was because I saw that
calum had a toronto based e-mail address.  do not be humble, if you think
someone might be in your area, send a polite note
and ask if they are interested in meeting up.

2.a.  When you do meet, start off at a neutral public place.  coffee shop,
restaurant.  and try to get separate cheques.  not
everyone might be able to afford the lobster bisque dinner, BUT might still want
to come out and talk lego.  (this has the
added benefit of not having to ever worry about the new guy leaving without
paying his share of the tip)

2b.  avoid the first few meetings in someone's house.  you are still strangers
after all.  (I've met Lar++  I would not want him
in my home.)

(smirk - hi lar)

3. to begin, your group is just a hand full of guys.  keep it that way.  don't
worry about charters, and nominations for second
vice presidents.... this is your hobby.  don't get bogged down with the
politicking.

3a  you will never be able to "force" your group to be something.  its best to
let it evolve.  your "leader" can try to guide it in
a direction, but that is only as good as his leadership skills.

4. the less your group has to worry about money the better off you will be.

5.  a web space is a great easy way to introduce new people to your group.  but
it is not the be all and end all.

6. to add more members to your group, you need to do public events.  train
shows, robot games, castle wars... whatever.
with every public show one or two people will meet you and become interested.
(that's how we met dave, and we still cant
get rid of him)

smirk -- hi dave

6a your first "show" can be nothing more then the 4 of you in a rented library
or community center "room" and everyone just
brings a few MOC and just "PLAY"

7. TIME. all this takes time. (years)

8.  I can be hired to be your leader....  and if you order now, I'll throw in
Calum, and a subsection of the web page.

:)

Chris