 LEGO Company / 1193
Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:38:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

I'm putting out a call to help me assemble your best tips/tricks/best practices
for forming and running local clubs and events. I'll volunteer to turn these
ideas into a "master document" that can be shared within the community. I just
need help me with the content! A collection of this info could really help clubs
who are just getting started, and maybe even existing clubs that are looking for
new ideas!

To make this happen, please either post to this thread or email me your ideas. I
know some of you have already written up content of this nature, and if you are
willing to see it in this "master document", please send those links or
documents along too.

Basically what Chris and Dave said.  But here's some other things I think are
core to any group, be it Lego, needlepoint or whatever....

1. Leadership.

Like a bunch of Linux nerds chatting about how they're going to storm the gates
of Microsoft and change the world, nothing will ever get done by guys online.
About the only thing you'll ever get is a cool webpage.  Every group needs one
or two dedicated LEADERS.    Leaders have their flaws, but they need to bring
energy and dedication to the group.

Leaders set the tone, set the agenda, and then move to the target.  You can't
sit around talking about how great it would be to have a train layout, you have
to get up, call the train show, set up a booth, buy plywood, make modules and
GET IT DONE.  Execution of plans is crucial, and real life physical events are
the lifeblood of a group.

Direction cannot be decided by committee.  You can solicit the ideas of the
group, but in general, if you let a group of people try and make decisions,
you'll get some wishy washy robot competition with a Pirate diorama on the side,
and it'll be lame.  In a small group, you can't have some Executive position
thing with a Secretary, Treasurer, Board of Directors etc, especially not when
you start out.  Everyone takes a fragment of responsibility with them, yet
claims all power during decisions.  No, you need one or two people to go and
kick ass, failures or not.

Everyone ideas, but no one ever wants to execute them.  Whenever someone says "I
want to have a rtlToronto Scala doll exhibit", our standard answer is "Go do it
them.  Rent the room, send out the notices, arrange the participants.  Then call
us back and we'll post it on the site".  And they never do.  But when people DO
step up, they do great and you should always encourage it.  DaveK and Derek have
done wonders with alternate robot games and Train layouts.

2. Attitude.  Summary: "You can't be everything to everyone, and you can't make
everyone happy".

a) Event dates.  Set and forget, unless it's something obviously contradictory, ie, long weekend, Valentine's Day.   Someone will always have a conflict, so forget them.

b) Group direction.  Early on, I think we cared about people who didn't build
robots.  We don't anymore.  Just liking Lego isn't enough to keep people
together, so you need a true common ground and ACTIVITY to bring people
together.  A few guys who say they like Space is boring.  A few guys who are
building a Space moonbase together is amazing!

c) Honesty.  Tell people what you think, and what you honestly believe.  If
someone is acting stupid, tell them.  Tell them if they're a dink.  No sense in
being polite.

3.  People.  We have some of the best builders anywhere in rtlToronto, and I'm really proud of that.  Many are folks who I consider to be good friends too.   Members of the group are more important than leadership, because they make the events.  They fill the newsgroup.  Attracting the right people to the group is key--set the attitude and direction and you'll get great people.

Like Chris says, you can't tell people what to do, but you can guide them along.

4. Social Events.

We found about two or three years in, people don't focus exclusively on Lego.
Lego isn't interesting enough of a reason to keep people together for five
years.  People stay together because of friendship.  It's what brings rtlToronto
members together mountain biking, test driving new cars, Talk at an rtlToronto
event is almost never about Lego.  It's about the West Wing, computers, how to
hack an alarm system with a Commodore 64, how to tie hangman's nooses...

You need to arrange events which focus on the social aspect.  We're not running
a singles mixer, (You never know with JohnG and JeffVW) but...it's always
important to get something to eat after a show, to sit in a Tim Horton's and
talk, etc.

Yeah, I'll shut up now. :)

Calum