 LEGO Company / 1181
Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:45:51 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

I'm putting out a call to help me assemble your best tips/tricks/best practices
for forming and running local clubs and events.

Well, the Aussie experience is probably different from the US, but here's mine
anyway ;)

We currently have a few groups of people in several major cities, who get
together somewhere between "fairly regularly" and "once in a blue moon". These
are only informal groups - there's generally a few die-hard core people, and a
bunch of others that just like to talk LEGO occasionally. The organisation of
meetings is fairly haphazard, someone says "hey it's about time we got together
again" and everyone decides on a place and time, then it's announced on
lugnet.loc.au and possibly on local mailing lists, and people turn up, or not,
as they choose.

AFAIK, there are no official "clubs", ie with charter, office bearers,
membership, etc. (Except maybe the Brisbane train club?) A couple of times,
meetings have been organised to co-incide with LEGO "events", but we haven't as
yet, had any (what I'd call) fan-organised "events" - we have managed to
organise a few nationwide meetings, but these were similar to local meetings,
just with more people invited.

We are currently tossing around ideas about how we might organise a larger
public event, but that may take a little while - we're feeling our way at the
moment too. I think as more people get involved with local and not-so-local
meetings, you just sort of reach a "boiling point" and stuff starts to happen.
It also helps when people with organisational skills and lots of free time
become involved ;)

So anyway that's how I see the Aussie experience, any of you Aussies wanna add
all the stuff I left out?

ROSCO