 LEGO Company / 1192
Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 17:18:17 GMT

In lugnet.lego, David Koudys wrote:

diplomatic, but honest.  If they leave in a huff, that wasn't a very mature
reaction and in the long run, your club will be better off.

I think this is important.  Lego may be a common ground, but not everyone will
fit into a group.  And it isn't your goal to catch everyone.  We know there are
at least ten or more Lego fans in Toronto who don't come to our events--because
they like Space or Starwars or Castle.  Everyone in rtlToronto at base is a
robot builder, even though some like Dave, me and Derek like Train too.

Maybe I'm just used to the way rtlToronto does things, but I find that it works.
Throw things out for the group to do and who shows, shows.  Not too many worries
either way (though I'm sure Chris and/or Calum may have had concern over a few
of the organized events in the past--"will there be enough people?"  "will
things go off without a hitch?"  "Will Dave show up and break something again?")

That freaked us out in the beginning, and sometimes reoccurs from time to time.
Then you come to an even with twenty entries over two games (C4 and MarblesV4)
and you feel a lot better.  Early on Chris figured it out:  If you ask a bunch
of people when to have an event, they'll never decide.  The organizer sets the
date, if you can make it, great, if you can't too bad.

Also, people have varying priorities.  If I set an event date, and good robot
builders can't make it, then I have a problem.  If I set an event date, and some
whiny castle builder says he can't make it in from Wawa, too frickin bad.

attend.  As well, (and Calum can verify this or shoot me down, stating that I'm
misremembering), after having our robot competitions, the library in which we
have them has approached us to do scheduled robot shows, and they'd give us the
room for the day.

Yeah, we've actually been approached by a few libraries and organizations now.
BTW, get ready to drive to Scarborough for rtl17 :)

It's only taken what, Calum, 6-8 years?  Eh, that ain't too bad... :)

Like Dave says, it takes a long time to build a group.  I think it was at least
four or five until we hit really our stride.

Oh, and charismatic organizers.  Almost a must in any FOL club.  Too bad we're
lacking in that dept.  ;)

(rimshot)

Calum