 LEGO Company / 1169
  Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

As you can imagine, I get A LOT of questions from fans in my role as Community Liaison. Many are recurring themes, where fans are looking for answers to the same question. One such recurring series of questions has to do with running events and (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events) !!

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> This has probably already been mentioned elsewhere, but one activity that I truly enjoy at our local meetings is the set draft. In brief, we work it like this. All members who want to participate (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Thanks Dan for reminding me of an important point. I should have mentioned this originally. Assume I have zero info for this collection. If something has been stated elsewhere, assume I've not not seen it. Help me out and point me to that (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.org)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) I'll write up something more complete this weekend, but on the topic of drafting, I wanted to note that MichLUG does it a little different, which I have docemented here: (URL) Jason Spears | (URL) BrickCentral> | (URL) MichLUG> (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, FTX)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Not that I'm trying to derail this thread, but our club has added one very cool addition to our drafting. Before we sort the sets out, we have a series of mini-building contests. In other words, everyone opens their own set (only one if (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

Here are some pointers on planning from the Brickish Association and NBLTC. Larry P was quite surprised by how the last NBLTC train display planning meeting went, so I thought I'd share it. Some clubs elect a 'Straw Boss' to draft the layout, (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote: <snip> (...) First don't sweat the disenfranchisement. Seriously. I mean don't go out of your way to annoy people in the group, but if 99 club members want Mindstorms competitions and 1 guy wants to have an Aquazone (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Well, the Aussie experience is probably different from the US, but here's mine anyway ;) We currently have a few groups of people in several major cities, who get together somewhere between "fairly regularly" and "once in a blue moon". These (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.au)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

hey Jake, Dave had some good ideas. to throw in my 2 cents..... the # 1 thing you need is leadership. PERIOD!!! you can have a great bunch of guys, but if you don't have that one (or two) person(s) to actually say, HEY the meeting is this friday, or (...) (20 years ago, 19-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Hi Jake, as you know from LW 2003 the dutch club 'De Bouwsteen' toke the initiative to build up a european platform under the name Eurobrick. I think this will be, for the european part of the community, the ideal platform for interaction of (...) (20 years ago, 20-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) I think this is important. Lego may be a common ground, but not everyone will fit into a group. And it isn't your goal to catch everyone. We know there are at least ten or more Lego fans in Toronto who don't come to our events--because they (...) (20 years ago, 20-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Basically what Chris and Dave said. But here's some other things I think are core to any group, be it Lego, needlepoint or whatever.... 1. Leadership. Summary: "Just Do It!". Like a bunch of Linux nerds chatting about how they're going to (...) (20 years ago, 20-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) I'd like to extend this to advice for people who are acting mostly alone. So far I've done "static" displays (glass case in a Library, leave up for a month), but am interested in doing more dynamic things, but doing a castle game, etc is kinda (...) (20 years ago, 21-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

Jake, When doing public events be prepard to answer these three questions over and over and over...... 1. Yes lego does make trains. 2. No they are not glued together. 3. I have no idea how many pieces are in the display. Paul Thomas SPLTC (20 years ago, 22-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Here's a few more that popped into my head: Communications. -Learn your marketing message, not for Lego, but for your own group. What is your goal? Who are you? Learn to deliver in a simplified, TV ready message. What in one or two sentences (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Agreed on that one! We get those questions too. I find it's easier to make up a very rough guess on 3. Calum (20 years ago, 22-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

I am writing things up for our club, and will get you a copy once finished. In brief, the number one thing is getting a club started, is, as stated by others, leadership. I started COLTC just over 1 year ago by emailing 5 people that had posted to (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) I agree with Calum - besides, estimating the pieces is a good way to drive home what sort of achievement such a layout is. I also find it is a good way to talk about the designing elements of building with lego (ie "That spaceship containes a (...) (20 years ago, 22-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) You missed one important one that always gets me: 4. I didn't keep track of how many hours I spent building it. (20 years ago, 23-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

Speaking of Events, the current Top 10 List theme is : "Top 10 things overheard at a LEGO event." www.minifigville.com/top10 Since I myself never had the chance to go to one of these events, I'd be very interested in knowing what can be heard in (...) (20 years ago, 23-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

Bill Ward wrote in message ... (...) The question we get is "how long did it take to build it?", the answer being something like, "it took 12 people 2 months of spare time". Answering "hours" is like answering "how many bricks"... impossible :-) (...) (20 years ago, 23-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

A thought I'd like to share at this moment, somthing I "live by" since I have shown regularly for many years now; When you do a show, exhibit, or display, and only a few people or a small crowd shows up, that's ok. See because the people who did (...) (20 years ago, 23-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) One thing the GMLTC seems to do well is talk to kids. If a kid is scoping out the layout with a parent, we'll start talking to the kid before we'll talk to the parent. We know that kids are our "target audience", if the kids are happy the (...) (20 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Yes, and we go a bit further. When a parent(s) has small kids with them or mention the younger kids (includinf grandparents), we also put in a plug for the Dupo trains, both 'push' and the battery-powered sets as starter sets til the child (...) (20 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) Great idea! Now, if we can only figure out how to put one into our layout... JohnG, GMLTC fut .trains (20 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) As with most things, diversity is good. I, personally, talk with the parents / adults. *I* view the adults as the "target audience" for what I do. I am not sure about the rest of the club... cause we haven't really discussed it. I have to (...) (20 years ago, 24-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) The correct answer to (4) is (with an absolutely deadpan expression) "about 15 minutes".. no matter what it is they're asking about! :-) (20 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

(...) And: 4. No, we didn't get the bricks from Lego for free. Yours, Christian Treczoks (20 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)

  Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks

In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote: [snip] (...) Ha! I do this with the kids whenever we go anywhere in the car. Kids:"How much longer until we're there?" Me: "Five, six minutes, tops." Hour after hour... -Evil Wayne (20 years ago, 25-Mar-04, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events)