 LEGO Company / 1178
Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:19:00 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:

<snip>

Sound like a good plan? Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison
LEGO Community Development

First don't sweat the disenfranchisement.  Seriously.  I mean don't go out of
your way to annoy people in the group, but if 99 club members want Mindstorms
competitions and 1 guy wants to have an Aquazone show, then make 99 percent of
your activities directed towards Mindstorms.  There are times when you may
encounter a person who could be deemed as 'high maintenance'.  Be honest and
forthright--clubs are suppose to be fun and relaxing for everyone--if there's a
'wrench' causing issues, then approach the person and be honest--polite,
diplomatic, but honest.  If they leave in a huff, that wasn't a very mature
reaction and in the long run, your club will be better off.

Maybe I'm just used to the way rtlToronto does things, but I find that it works.
Throw things out for the group to do and who shows, shows.  Not too many worries
either way (though I'm sure Chris and/or Calum may have had concern over a few
of the organized events in the past--"will there be enough people?"  "will
things go off without a hitch?"  "Will Dave show up and break something again?")
There are organizational points to specific events, such as train/hobby shows,
but the monthly dinners are pretty much a "whoever shows/whatever happens"
night.

Beyond that, do what interests the group, and things usually expand.  I know
that since our first 'real' train show at NMRA which we had to contact the NMRA
organizers, we've been getting offers from other hobby/train events asking us to
attend.  As well, (and Calum can verify this or shoot me down, stating that I'm
misremembering), after having our robot competitions, the library in which we
have them has approached us to do scheduled robot shows, and they'd give us the
room for the day.

So without too much effort (the motto of rtlT ;) ), word does eventually get
out.  More people start wanting to be part of the group, and things 'build' from
there.  That's the best bit I find about belonging to rtlToronto, always finding
new fans of the brick.

It's only taken what, Calum, 6-8 years?  Eh, that ain't too bad... :)

Oh, and charismatic organizers.  Almost a must in any FOL club.  Too bad we're
lacking in that dept.  ;)

Dave K