 LEGO Company / 1203
Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:39:48 GMT

3.   I have no idea how many pieces are in the display.

Agreed on that one!  We get those questions too.  I find it's easier to make up
a very rough guess on 3.

I agree with Calum - besides, estimating the pieces is a good way to drive home
what sort of achievement such a layout is.  I also find it is a good way to talk
about the designing elements of building with lego (ie "That spaceship containes
a few larger, structural pieces, and lots of smaller, detail oriented pieces"
etc etc) - and while I have limited experience (three displays + speaking with
coworkers/family) - emphasizing the design elements of LEGO help transform it in
their mind from "Toy" to "Artform", and thus legitimizes it.

Of course, this is more difficult to do for someone who makes Space Communists
spaceships and medieval villages than for people who do robots, sculptures etc.

-Lenny