 LEGO Company / 1174
Re: Clubs/Events - Tips and Tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.events
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:12:18 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Dan Sabath wrote:

This has probably already been mentioned elsewhere, but one activity that I
truly enjoy at our local meetings is the set draft. In brief, we work it like
this ...

Not that I'm trying to derail this thread, but our club has added one very cool
addition to our drafting.

Before we sort the sets out, we have a series of mini-building contests.  In
other words, everyone opens their own set (only one if they've brought more than
one to draft), and gets all the pieces ready.  Before the meeting, someone (or
several people) have come up with a list of things to build.  They are fairly
general (a face, a flying vehicle, something living, a scene from a movie, a
weapon, etc.), and biased towards the set being drafted (don't choose too many
things that need wheels with a set that has none).  Someone then draws one idea
from a hat, and we all have *exactly* 5 minutes, no more, no less, to build
something.  At the end of 5 minutes, we show them off.  Then, we shred 'em, draw
another idea, and do it all over again.

We always enjoy this part of the draft immensely, and are constantly amazed at
the variety of creations along a similar theme that can be made with a couple
hundred of the same pieces.  It's usually very inspiring.  It's also good brain
exercise.  Most people are fumbling around for the first couple of rounds, but
after 3 or 4 rounds, people find their wings, and those building muscles get
warmed up.  It's very cool.

When we've had enough, we commence sorting, and carry on with the draft.

Try it!

Robin Sather, Vancouver Lego Club