 General / 51624
Re: Okay, maybe not a real MOC, but close enough
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 03:16:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In > Spotlighted. But I can’t really thank you for sharing this one, Janey. I
   think this sort of thing (especially that you publicised it soo much(1)) is bad press for the AFOL community at large.

Richie, i think this is a matter of opinion and this lugnet being one of the freindliest places on the internet; your negativity, i find; is unwelcome. If people want to go out and adorn their person with art that expresses themselves, so be it. Some AFOLs express themselves through LEGO art, i believe some should be able to do it in any way they see fit. Do you want us all to live in a closet? Never to express even our opinions to anybody else ?

   Tattoos are an adult activity, and carry some significant health risks and various social stigmas as well.

Again richie, this is your narrow opinion. Im sure you could not denigh the thousands of pacific islands childern who earn the painted status of family and heritige on their skin as young as 5 years old. I think you will find all cultures at one point painted their skin for one reason or another and many still do it today.

By posting (or was that ‘boasting’) about your tattoos here – on a family friendly forum - you have, perhaps unwittingly, encouraged young people to get tattooed.
I call it expressionism, Richie. Im sure this “Family Friendly Forum” is just that. To reinforce that I encourage anybody who is concidering purchasing a tattoo, to discuss this with their family. These are the points i feel you neglect in your contributions to this forum Richie.

   In many areas, tattooing is illegal on non-adults. Tattoo parlours are dens of iniquity, where wide eyed youth, intent on getting a tattoo of a simple brick or their favourite Bionicle could come face to face (or face to other parts of the body) with drug dealers, motorcycle gang members, and even drunken sailors.

This opinion is also of concern. Isn’t it likely kids are exposed to such things as drugs in schools, sporting gyms or their friends house ? As a concerned parent i believe a registered business, paying tax, run by people who vote could not nessesarily be a bad place. I would be more concerned if my son developed a liking for Bionicle. I think your comment about motorcycle gangs and sailors is a terrible stereotype and a poor show of respect for those who serve our country and are risking thier lives right now so that we can enjoy our (Adult or Child)FOL way of life.

You are a cool builder, Janey. Your micro work rocks. You have a strong fan following, which may well follow your example and be tattooed. But will they go to a parlour which uses sterile needles and follows good health practices? Or will they go to some undesirable part of town, unaccompanied, and bare their shoulder (or worse) to some tattooed ‘artist’? If they do, do you take responsibility for encouraging them to this ‘choice’?

I think you have jumped the (tattoo) gun Richie. Everybody is respocible for the content of this community but again i see it is your contribution which is least helpfull. I agree Janey may have neglected to offer guidance for those trying to identify a reputable Tattoo studio, but your post has suggested nothing further and simply put an attack on somebody trying to express themselves. You Richie as a member of this community bere as much responcibility as anybody else for the content of this place and you should not “wipe your hands of it” and start making accusations.

You posted your tat post healing. Why not show the young and impressionable what it’s like whilst it is healing? It’s not all fun and bright colours. Why not tell them the risks? Search the net for some pics of tats gone wrong, and post them too.

I choose not to show the “impressionable what it’s like” as i beleive this is a matter best suited to the discussion with a parent. As a peer/role model to this community Richie, don’t you think you could have helped identify the risks for those you think may be “encouragged” into getting a 2x4 painted on thier person ? Not just leave them in the dark only lit by the persistant candel of a flame war !

As your post clearly showed, tattoos are addictive. Imagine if some kid starts with a simple Bionicle tat, but his interests move on to technic, so he adds a 1x8 technic brick and a gear or two, and then he gets into mindstorms, so adds an RCX, and then moves on to trains (adds a Santa Fe Super Chief) and then to historic 1960’s sets and so on. A body disfigured for what? Will you comfort him when girls reject him? Will you give him a job when employers reject him?

I need some clarification here please. Firstly on your point “and then moves on to trains” Is this a natural progression or propoganda ? Secondly, please identify what the problem is with having an RCX tattooed on ones self ? Disfigurement is again your opinion. It is not up to you to critise somebody who has a historically accurate record of ones own interests. Are you also critisising the process of documenting time ?

Your comments about girls and employers are not constructive. I find them chauvinistic (remember Janey is a girl) and discriminatory. Im sure Janey didn’t have to show her skin to get the job she has !

   And you justify your post by saying “At least it’s Lego related”?
Well yes it is.

Steve