 General / 51533
Re: LEGO Factory impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:53:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Thomas Main wrote:
snip
I am concerned that this first step, while incredibly neat, might
not draw the huge amounts of people into the system that are needed to get to
"step two."

I agree.

Personally, I have never understoodthe current parts packing system and I see it
as a roadblock to getting to "step two."  I'd like to see baggies of parts that
have about 10 of the identical element restricted to the most common colors as
the basis of the parts pallettes we can work with in LDD.  This would vastly
reduce the cost of ordering a model that used, say, 15 1x4x3 brown window
frames.

One other possibility would be allowing us to use existing bulk packs in our
models.  If I am building a house with a black roof, then I could upload a black
roof tiles pack and use that.  The problem I have with the current system is the
same as yours, there are too many parts in each palatte that do not get used in
the model.  These palatte sizes are too large and too expensive.  10 element
bags do seem a bit small.  But 25 or 50 element bags would be great.  Hopefully
some fan input will improve the piece selection.  Currently I do not want to
build anything and order it because I can just go and buy the designer set.

Ben