 CAD / 13253
Re: LEGO Factory impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 06:22:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Joe Strout wrote:
   Well, I’ve built my first LDD model (a Railroad Crossing sign) and uploaded it to LEGO.com. Some initial impressions:

1. LDD is very frustrating if you’re trying to do anything even slightly nonstandard with the parts. In my example, I want to attach the crossing arms, which are rotated at 45 degrees, to an unrotated 1x1 brick (attached to a lantern brick). This appears impossible. I spent probably 10 minutes futzing with this last step, which I earlier did in about 30 seconds in Bricksmith. I finally gave up, and just put the crossing “close enough” but not actually attached.

I ran in to that too! Your right!

On the arm on my Little Blue Bot, there are 1x3 slopes in the center section of the elbow, but when the section I am adding a part to has an angle to it, like putting a part on a section of a model that has been pivoted, you have a part that does not want to connect.

I’d like the LDD Team to download the LBB in my gallery and check it out. Appears to me when the model has a section that is pivoted, some how the auto connect feature, regardless of camera angle just cannot “see” the intended positioning. um, ya as an engineer go figure that one out. lol, sorry.

   2. The “instructions” that LDD generates are not very good. I checked the “Build Up From Base” option in Preferences, and it still had me positioning three parts floating in midair in step 3, to be connected to other things in step 4. From this I conclude that the LEGO software engineering team has been operating from a top-secret space station in orbit about the Earth, or possibly Mars.

wow, interesting, I never checked it out like that.

   3. The part selection is a little frustrating too; it doesn’t even have any 1x1 black bricks, nor brown lantern brick. I had to stick a black lantern brick at the top of my brown post, which looks rather dumb. I know, they’re planning to add more parts, but I thought they’d at least pick a handful of useful colors, and make sure all the standard bricks are provided in them. That doesn’t seem to be the case, at least not yet.

I went on adnauesum in a theoretical sense, about some of that, but your tottaly right, its based on what’s in the current Make and Create/Designer sets I guess.

   4. Perhaps the most disappointing realization: my 13-piece model costs $18.95 from S@H. Yes, it also comes with 401 extra parts, but I didn’t want 401 extra parts — I wanted my 13-piece model.

This is the part that is kind of wack, althought taking in to consideration what the constraints are, I wonder if there could be a sort of package of instructions, so if you know you only use a percent of the parts that you know are comming with in the design you have made, then can we submit additional designs so we can build and have instructions for others stuff we are gonna get, let’s say over burden. Let’s sat run on sentence. mybad

   The new LEGO Factory is an impressive beginning, and the poor instructions really aren’t a big deal. But the other limitations above conspire to really limit what we’ll be able to do with this.

I guess we are starting to realize what the constraints are in this intial release and generation of software/Factory builds.

   Best,
– Joe

Thanks for sharring!