 CAD / 13244

Subject:
LEGO Factory impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:14:20 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well, I’ve built my first LDD model (a Railroad Crossing sign) and uploaded it to LEGO.com. Some initial impressions:

1. LDD is very frustrating if you’re trying to do anything even slightly nonstandard with the parts. In my example, I want to attach the crossing arms, which are rotated at 45 degrees, to an unrotated 1x1 brick (attached to a lantern brick). This appears impossible. I spent probably 10 minutes futzing with this last step, which I earlier did in about 30 seconds in Bricksmith. I finally gave up, and just put the crossing “close enough” but not actually attached.

2. The “instructions” that LDD generates are not very good. I checked the “Build Up From Base” option in Preferences, and it still had me positioning three parts floating in midair in step 3, to be connected to other things in step 4. From this I conclude that the LEGO software engineering team has been operating from a top-secret space station in orbit about the Earth, or possibly Mars.

3. The part selection is a little frustrating too; it doesn’t even have any 1x1 black bricks, nor brown lantern brick. I had to stick a black lantern brick at the top of my brown post, which looks rather dumb. I know, they’re planning to add more parts, but I thought they’d at least pick a handful of useful colors, and make sure all the standard bricks are provided in them. That doesn’t seem to be the case, at least not yet.

4. Perhaps the most disappointing realization: my 13-piece model costs $18.95 from S@H. Yes, it also comes with 401 extra parts, but I didn’t want 401 extra parts — I wanted my 13-piece model.

The new LEGO Factory is an impressive beginning, and the poor instructions really aren’t a big deal. But the other limitations above conspire to really limit what we’ll be able to do with this.

Best,
– Joe

Re: LEGO Factory impressions
What the? They’re not going to come out on top with that sorta setup. 40 bucks if the kid just wants a small animal-thingy? No way’ll they convince their mumsies. Here’s hopin’ they change it.

-Stefan-

Re: LEGO Factory impressions
   What the? They’re not going to come out on top with that sorta setup. 40 bucks if the kid just wants a small animal-thingy? No way’ll they convince their mumsies. Here’s hopin’ they change it.

-Stefan-

Probably they have standard bags of parts - it’s as if you buy an entire tub or most of one to guarantee you can build that model (and 5 others pointed out helpfully by the factory.)

[...]

A few nits of my own:
  • The cursor no longer changes to reflect what tool you are using. In 1.3, if you pressed ‘d’ for the clone tool, the cursor switched to a little version of the clone icon. Now the only indication is that the current tool’s button is highlighted.

  • The “all parts, any color” palette is gone - as far as I can tell. There is a graphic for it in the LDD folder, but I can’t figure out any way to enable it. No mention of it in the docs, either.

  • The autoconnect seems to be dumber than in 1.3 (when it was actually fairly decent), and even more dependent on the view. The only way I could stick a 1x1 round plate between four studs was to rotate all the way to a top-down view and zoom in.

  • Since the price of your model is determined by how many bags of parts you use, why not break up the palettes by bag instead of by set? Then you could just add the parts you need instead of a whole palette - and end up with a lot fewer extra parts.

  • Uploading a model just to get the price is ridiculous. TLG: give us the list of parts in each bag, and explain the pricing structure.
At present, LDD 1.4 fails at providing a reasonable way to order custom sets, as well as being a step backwards from 1.3 in terms of utility and usability.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

[...]

Forgot one:
  • Why is there a limit of one per customer when buying custom LEGO Factory sets?
Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

Re: LEGO Factory impressions
  • The cursor no longer changes to reflect what tool you are using. In 1.3,

  • The “all parts, any color” palette is gone - as far as I can tell. There

  • The autoconnect seems to be dumber than in 1.3 (when it was actually

  • Since the price of your model is determined by how many bags of parts you use, why not break up the palettes by bag instead of by set? Then you

  • Uploading a model just to get the price is ridiculous. TLG: give us the list of parts in each bag, and explain the pricing structure.
At present, LDD 1.4 fails at providing a reasonable way to order custom sets, as well as being a step backwards from 1.3 in terms of utility and usability.

Forgot one:
  • Why is there a limit of one per customer when buying custom LEGO Factory sets?

One more:
  • The categories in the Brick Tray are not consistent: they change depending on the order in which you add additional palettes.
For example: if you add all the palettes, starting with ‘My Car’, the steering wheel, the 1x1 cylinder w/fins, and the two fin pieces all show up in the Brick Tray in the steering wheel category.

But if you add the ‘My Robot’ palette first, they will all show up in the 1x1 cylinder w/fins category. Very odd.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

[...]

Today I downloaded the Lego Factory software for the first time. I tried playing with it a little but I was disappointed in the parts selection.

Based on what was just mentioned in this thread.....

...If I say wanted to build a model with 24 1x4x3 black windows, and there are only 6 per House model set, does that mean that I have would have to buy 6 times 401 extra pieces (guessing at a number here) since it would take 6 sets worth to build my model of 24 black windows?

Originally I thought that you would be able to order from a design palette which would allow unlimited parts of a specific color (from the palette) for model building. If that is not the case, then this will really put a damper on design creativity.

Gary Istok

Re: LEGO Factory impressions
Well, I've built my first LDD model (a Railroad Crossing sign) and uploaded
it to LEGO.com.  Some initial impressions:

-snip-

Joe

Today I downloaded the Lego Factory software for the first time.  I tried
playing with it a little but I was disappointed in the parts selection.

Based on what was just mentioned in this thread.....

...If I say wanted to build a model with 24 1x4x3 black windows, and there
are only 6 per House model set, does that mean that I have would have to buy
6 times 401 extra pieces (guessing at a number here) since it would take 6
sets worth to build my model of 24 black windows?

Originally I thought that you would be able to order from a design palette
which would allow unlimited parts of a specific color (from the palette) for
model building.  If that is not the case, then this will really put a damper
on design creativity.

Gary Istok

Hmmm, something is dawning on me. I mean I think I see the same principle our
MOCs are derived from in real life. When we see someone's My Own Creation, we
look and say wow, look that spaceship has 40 monkey left arms! Oh wow, (this is
where the AFoL does some quick Mathematics.) lettsseee 40 left monkey arms, x
Times oh you only get half a left monkey arm in set 456969 so you would need 160
sets to make that alone! Wow, that's an expensive MOC with exotic parts! WowiE!

Ok, now think in the LEGO distribution system (which is in the far future of
Next Thursday World) the same sets are still going to be produced in the planned
line up. Thing is this Digital Designer is like having a tool to build your own
stuff within the system as it is now. Like a spyglass into what is possible
given the parts in the line up of sets. Duhh right, but see.

The process just gets another chain, and the distribution system of sets is
still the same or rather can go on, just some baggies of parts are diverted to
the Lego Factory sets. Your designed set.

I'm sure it is more complicated and dedicated than that, for the sake of
argument; Which is cool. However! (and I'm not complaining just pointing out for
consumption, a fine point I'd like to see get across here. Possibly for LEGO
itself, and if we are patient, I'm sure will come anyway, I gleen, but here
goes:

A couple of years ago, If I recall, when I heard about all of this comming, I
really thought it was great, and that it was the answer to many prayers of being
able to literally DIP IN TO THE SYSTEM OF PARTS AND REALLY LET EVERYONE BUILD
WITH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF LEGO.

Ya know? So I see at first now it has to begin incrementally. (again duhh
right..) still, check it out.

In reality, this is a start.

Imagine if you will, a giant facility filled with millions of parts. A full
pallet of Lego parts in all system sizes and shapes, with machines to divert,
sort pack feed label and collect the 40 left monkey arms Pharmacy style I need
to complete that ship that guy made! Completely automated, full pallet, Pick and
pack facilty, Parts Farming Madness!

That day will come I hope, where we can go to LEGO and yes, get that exact
amount we need. I would ponder.

Frightening thought, from molding to a chute for every part with machines and
little disperal counters feeding baggies of brown yellow and green left monkey
arms at my request, all on site. The Mega Parts Stock House.

Drool Drool.

LDD is a starting point down that road I hope, because obviously the Mega Parts
Stock House would be an amazing facility. Heh, my next moonbase.

I suppose the same shall we say M.O. when buying multiple sets to get multiples
of parts in tradional aquiring sense keeps the value in place.
While slowing building into place the infrastructure required to fully support a
wide or full pallet of LEGO Parts.

Same issue with being able to import or interface with current Brick Building
CAD technologies, the parts packing and retrievel etc.. its what the LEGO
distribution can handle at this time. Supporting a full pallet of parts already
authored.

A tool for building something you want within the current sets.
Pretty cool if you look at it like that.

OR, what else can I build along with the extra 400 parts I get along with the 13
piece set Joe mentioned, or the monkey arms which ever you prefer...

...for what it is worth, it is neat to ponder.

P.S. what about an option to build with full pallet with "Sorry, full pallet not
available until the world of next thursday arives" and the current situ which is
to build from the pallet of sets and upload/buy.

{of course! duhh}

eeeee

Re: LEGO Factory impressions