 CAD / 13254
Re: LEGO Factory impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:01:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Eric Sophie wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Joe Strout wrote:
   Well, I’ve built my first LDD model (a Railroad Crossing sign) and uploaded it to LEGO.com. Some initial impressions:

1. LDD is very frustrating if you’re trying to do anything even slightly nonstandard with the parts. In my example, I want to attach the crossing arms, which are rotated at 45 degrees, to an unrotated 1x1 brick (attached to a lantern brick). This appears impossible. I spent probably 10 minutes futzing with this last step, which I earlier did in about 30 seconds in Bricksmith. I finally gave up, and just put the crossing “close enough” but not actually attached.

I ran in to that too! Your right!

On the arm on my Little Blue Bot, there are 1x3 slopes in the center section of the elbow, but when the section I am adding a part to has an angle to it, like putting a part on a section of a model that has been pivoted, you have a part that does not want to connect.

I’d like the LDD Team to download the LBB in my gallery and check it out. Appears to me when the model has a section that is pivoted, some how the auto connect feature, regardless of camera angle just cannot “see” the intended positioning. um, ya as an engineer go figure that one out. lol, sorry.

-snip-

Here is what I mean, better to provide a picture:

When I try to move the 1x3’s down 1 stud, they will not. When they get close to what I am trying to do, they sit in mid air just outside the desired connection point.

Something about the section being pivoted.

Same when I rotate/pivot the hindged fingers, the 1x3 slopes on top can’t correlate to the tangent of the plate hinge. They pry apart and the connected parts do not pivot along as it should.

I have to reconnect the part again, seperately, and sometimes it is really hard to get the part re attached. I suspect the math is off and I have to start again.

One other operating difficulty I encountered, when I cloned a whole section, in this case the foot of the Little Blue Bot, I couldn’t simply copy and place the clone next to the original without it disrupting the floor grid and lowering it.

In other words it is very difficult to place objects next to eachother unconnected without lowering the grid level, even with the camera angle adjusted. I know its a matter of spacial relation, but sometimes, you never know how far away the software thinks your trying to place an object.

I got all messed up once and it is funny to try and place an object as far away from the main model as possible. If you notice, you can super select the whole model and either drag it upwards towards the faux lightsource, or sink it down to the dark abyss.

A “center model on grid button”, no matter where you space is within the continuum would be helpful. I know there is a re-center camera angle, but it won’t replace or recenter the model on the grid. The set point button helps, but I am unsure why and how it works sometimes.

As a test, see if you can “get lost” and “find your way back” within the LDD universe. Like VR from the 80’s hahahaha