 CAD / 13244
  LEGO Factory impressions

Well, I've built my first LDD model (a Railroad Crossing sign) and uploaded it to LEGO.com. Some initial impressions: 1. LDD is very frustrating if you're trying to do anything even slightly nonstandard with the parts. In my example, I want to (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX) !

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

What the? They're not going to come out on top with that sorta setup. 40 bucks if the kid just wants a small animal-thingy? No way'll they convince their mumsies. Here's hopin' they change it. -Stefan- (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Probably they have standard bags of parts - it's as if you buy an entire tub or most of one to guarantee you can build that model (and 5 others pointed out helpfully by the factory.) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) A few nits of my own: The cursor no longer changes to reflect what tool you are using. In 1.3, if you pressed 'd' for the clone tool, the cursor switched to a little version of the clone icon. Now the only indication is that the current tool's (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Today I downloaded the Lego Factory software for the first time. I tried playing with it a little but I was disappointed in the parts selection. Based on what was just mentioned in this thread..... ...If I say wanted to build a model with 24 (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Forgot one: Why is there a limit of one per customer when buying custom LEGO Factory sets? Marc Nelson Jr. (URL) Marc's Creations>> (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) One more: The categories in the Brick Tray are not consistent: they change depending on the order in which you add additional palettes. For example: if you add all the palettes, starting with 'My Car', the steering wheel, the 1x1 cylinder (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) snip I'd love to share my impressions, unfortunately the new version doesn't run on my machine. :( The previous one did, but apparently the software has outgrown me. And after BrickFest, there's no way I can afford to upgrade my hardware, at (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) -snip- (...) Hmmm, something is dawning on me. I mean I think I see the same principle our MOCs are derived from in real life. When we see someone's My Own Creation, we look and say wow, look that spaceship has 40 monkey left arms! Oh wow, (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) I ran in to that too! Your right! On the arm on my Little Blue Bot, there are 1x3 slopes in the center section of the elbow, but when the section I am adding a part to has an angle to it, like putting a part on a section of a model that has (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) -snip- Here is what I mean, better to provide a picture: When I try to move the 1x3's down 1 stud, they will not. When they get close to what I am trying to do, they sit in mid air just outside the desired connection point. Something about the (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions (US Only?)

(...) Did I miss an announcement that said Lego factory was going to be US only for a bit? With my location set to the UK it refuses to tell me the price of any models, but works if I change it to the US. C'est la vie, Only to be expected I suppose, (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Yes, this is probably the kind of system that Jake prompted us to imagine when he asked us to ponder where this system might be 6-10 years down the road (provided it is sucessful). As you brilliantly put it, in the "World of next Thursday." I (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Kelly, Enjoy v. 1.3....just think, you can still build with an unlimited parts palette(which users of 1.4 cannot) and, according to some, has better automatic brick placement . I am going to experiment with getting 1.3 back on my computer, (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

In lugnet.cad, Joe Strout wrote: <snip> (...) I guess it goes back to the intended audience. I get way too frustrated trying to use it (the no movement in x and y kills me). However, my 8 yo son used it for over 30 minutes to build a model he (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) I brought in a nifty little microfig (1) hoversled/skycar that Nik had doodled up in 1.3 into 1.4... it told me about missing parts, so I had it fetch them. Then I tried uploading it. It would not let me upload it to the Factory gallery (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

In lugnet.cad, Thomas Main wrote: snip (...) I agree. (...) One other possibility would be allowing us to use existing bulk packs in our models. If I am building a house with a black roof, then I could upload a black roof tiles pack and use that. (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Well, not necessarily. My Railroad Crossing (rats, it seems that there are no URLs for individual models, so I can't point you directly to it) model uses parts from all five bricksets, yet the cost is $18.95. So I don't think you're buying (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions (US Only?)

(...) I must have missed the US only announcement too, my understanding was that it was a North American launch initially, however I get no prices with my location set to Canada either... Oh well, hopefully it will be available around the world (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) And that is a feature we really need, at least at some point. How else can we talk about stuff (except by asking people to search by name?) More importantly, how else are we going to publicise our models and drive incremental sales into the (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Hmm. If you dig around in the page source for the model pop-ups, you can find the lxf file: (URL) the thumbnail: (URL) course, an URL that goes right to the model would be a lot nicer. Marc Nelson Jr. (URL) Marc's Creations>> (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Being a minimalist, the first model I uploaded was a single piece priced at $3.99. It came with 77 spare pieces. I find that reasonable for a custom set. (URL) I captured the S@H screen here: (URL) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Good hacks. Can someone else follow those links and buy the model though??? I'm thinking not. (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Well, try this: (URL) went to the gallery, found the railroad crossing, opened the popup and did a price check...that gets you to a webpage. You can also email your model to someone. For use on LUGNET, though, this would be the way to go. Joe (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) LOL! I love it, having that available next to somebody's model that took them three days to build. Now, if somebody were really evil, they'd create a separate model for each piece available and name it with the LDraw part number or something. (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Hmm, then what would be nice is a way of telling when you are openning a new bag. For example, I built a Red Pickup truck, and my model set basically works out to be the Designer set that builds cars, but my model set costs 24.95. Now, if I (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Cool! And the 'Building Instructions' link gets you the .lxf file. Great work! Replacing everything after "mid=" with everything after the last slash in the .lxf and .jpg links gets me a link to my Yellow Jet: (URL) looks like you can't buy (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote: (snip) (URL) (...) Now that's a problem. Joe (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Except... Limit 1 per customer :( ROSCO (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Thomas, You must have been reading my mind.... I was thinking about building a Lego Factory Skyscraper with 8 black 1x4x3 windows on each floor, and making it 10 stories tall. Well based on the fact that only 6 come in a baggie, I can only (...) (19 years ago, 1-Sep-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) To test your theory and see how bad it would actually be, I built your tower. (2 URLs) 10 Story Tower (window frames only): Total Pieces: 637 (Pieces used in set: 78) Price: USD 72.67 You are buying window frames at $0.93 each and getting 559 (...) (19 years ago, 1-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) That depend's on whether or not the clear glass panes for the windows come in the same baggies. Or will it require another 13 baggies! That black window is one of the few Brick Factory parts that I don't mind paying a premium on. Of course, (...) (19 years ago, 1-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) As you got me thinking about this... Just uploaded a "test" window. One black window with one glass insert. Total cost: $11.98 Pieces used in set: 2 Total pieces: 121 Either it's one big ol' bag of parts, or methinks it's two seperate bags. (...) (19 years ago, 1-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Thanks Kris! That would make $11.98 X 13 = $155.74 (plus the 8 scadzillion other pieces you get) ..... YIKES!!! Now add into that all the white bricks for making it a decent looking model.... it starts adding up! I can say this much, before I (...) (19 years ago, 1-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Tack on a white 2x4 and the price goes to $15.27. You do get 22 white 2x4's apparently in the next bag, which incidently, if you just make a model of the above mentioned bricks it costs $4.99. So apparently there is savings there with the more (...) (19 years ago, 1-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Factory impressions

(...) Keep your eye on (URL) BrickWiki>, then... As discussed in this (URL) LEGOFan thread> there is some serious hacking into these mysteries, and perl coding, going on as we speak. The bags have been inventoried (perhaps not quite correctly for My (...) (19 years ago, 1-Sep-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)