 CAD / 13261
Re: LEGO Factory impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:29:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Thomas Main wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Joe Strout wrote:
   Well, I’ve built my first LDD model (a Railroad Crossing sign) and uploaded it to LEGO.com. Some initial impressions:

snip

I’d love to share my impressions, unfortunately the new version doesn’t run on my machine. :( The previous one did, but apparently the software has outgrown me. And after BrickFest, there’s no way I can afford to upgrade my hardware, at least for a while. So I guess I can’t play with the big CAD boys...

Kelly,

Enjoy v. 1.3....just think, you can still build with an unlimited parts palette(which users of 1.4 cannot) and, according to some, has better automatic brick placement . I am going to experiment with getting 1.3 back on my computer, actually for those very reasons. I wonder if we can upload models to the Factory gallery that were crerated with 1.3 and unlimited pallettes?

I brought in a nifty little microfig (1) hoversled/skycar that Nik had doodled up in 1.3 into 1.4... it told me about missing parts, so I had it fetch them. Then I tried uploading it. It would not let me upload it to the Factory gallery because of the missing parts, but did let me upload to the Make and Create gallery.

I no longer have 1.3 on this machine so can’t test whether when you upload if it even offers the Factory gallery or not, but I would suspect not. Neat if it does though!

Hope that helps.

General Note: People who are not following along on LEGOFan.com may be missing out. A lot of stuff is getting double posted but it’s not a complete overlap, there are tidbits here that aren’t there and vice versa. Even if you’re not posting, you may want to at least read, despite the many shortcomings of the UI... (most of the people posting in this thread seem to be doing so in both places, I think, so this is mostly for the benefit of lurkers)

1 - ~15 pieces, search by username “lar” to find it when you are here: http://www.lego.com/eng/create/gallery/