 CAD / 13244
13243  |  13245
Subject:
LEGO Factory impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 04:14:20 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well, I’ve built my first LDD model (a Railroad Crossing sign) and uploaded it to LEGO.com. Some initial impressions:

1. LDD is very frustrating if you’re trying to do anything even slightly nonstandard with the parts. In my example, I want to attach the crossing arms, which are rotated at 45 degrees, to an unrotated 1x1 brick (attached to a lantern brick). This appears impossible. I spent probably 10 minutes futzing with this last step, which I earlier did in about 30 seconds in Bricksmith. I finally gave up, and just put the crossing “close enough” but not actually attached.

2. The “instructions” that LDD generates are not very good. I checked the “Build Up From Base” option in Preferences, and it still had me positioning three parts floating in midair in step 3, to be connected to other things in step 4. From this I conclude that the LEGO software engineering team has been operating from a top-secret space station in orbit about the Earth, or possibly Mars.

3. The part selection is a little frustrating too; it doesn’t even have any 1x1 black bricks, nor brown lantern brick. I had to stick a black lantern brick at the top of my brown post, which looks rather dumb. I know, they’re planning to add more parts, but I thought they’d at least pick a handful of useful colors, and make sure all the standard bricks are provided in them. That doesn’t seem to be the case, at least not yet.

4. Perhaps the most disappointing realization: my 13-piece model costs $18.95 from S@H. Yes, it also comes with 401 extra parts, but I didn’t want 401 extra parts — I wanted my 13-piece model.

The new LEGO Factory is an impressive beginning, and the poor instructions really aren’t a big deal. But the other limitations above conspire to really limit what we’ll be able to do with this.

Best,
– Joe