 General / 14747
Re: Galaxy Explorer (Was Re: Poor packaging by TLC )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:31:53 GMT

Hi there,

My two cents... followups set to lugnet.space only.

In lugnet.general, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Jeffrey Baldwin wrote:

How do you feel about the 928? I think it is kinda plain.

I never thought of the 928 (in the U.S., 497) as plain.  Actually, it's a rather
busy model, what with those big engines hanging out over the wings.

(Oh No! Scott is getting on his Space Soapbox!)

I can appreciate sentiments of this type. However, since Space is
probably my favorite theme, and have been collecting it since I was 4,
and I have most of the sets since 1984. I think this line (497, 487, and
918) are still really neat, even without the special parts we have
today. The reason? Realism! These sets look like something feasible, not
some neon nightrider nightmare from Batman Forever or something. I can
see mankind actually going into space with these sets. One of my most
prized sets is the 487:

Because it is a classic, and it is great. Not only is is realistic, it
has great play value as well. It can hold two to three minifigs in it,
plus a cargo area. They maybe not flashy, but it they all are a
testament for when TLC (TLG, LG, LC, etc.) made some really great sets.

I have to agree with Scott.  If you look in my profile, you'll see that 487 is
one of my two all-time favorite sets.  (The other is 375, the yellow castle...)
It's neither too little, nor too much.  A friend of mine owned the 497/928, and
at first I was lusting to have one.  It wore off.  I'm not sure why.  Somehow
the 487 is a more "balanced" model.

It's interesting that the Lego movie just posted by Marc Leidy also features the
487.

http://www.lugnet.com/space/?n=1134

Long ago, I also experimented with Lego stop-action filming, using the this same
model.  Seeing the film made me nostalgic, so I reassembled mine.  It was like
saying hello to an old friend.  My three-year old, Spencer, has been playing
with it for a few days.  A few nights ago he was leafing through my early 80's
Idea Book (Cat. No. 6000, if you're wondering), looking for something to build.
This, too, has a section that features the 487.  When he saw this, he pointed
excitedly and said, "Hey, that's the spaceship you built!"

Another one hooked.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology