 General / 14669
Re: Poor packaging by TLC (was: Has any one else noticed...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 22:04:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Paul Baulch writes:

John Robert Blaze Kanehl wrote in message ...

I always wanted the Galaxy Explorer (LL 928) .....One of the Holy Grails I
dream of.....more so than a BSB or Yellow castle.....

Yeah, I felt like that, EXACTLY like that, for nigh on twenty years... then
late last year I bought a used one in an auction. It was complete and in
mint condition, just perfect. I built it, and held it in my hands and stared
at it and whooshed it around to see what it looked like, and..... I felt
vaguely disappointed.
It's kind of neat in a near-future-tech way, but it just looks..... boxy.
Clunky. Old-fashioned. Now, I see it more as a Grey 4x4 Cone and
Trans-Yellow Parts Pack. If I had a project that needed blue and trans
yellow I'd break it up immediately.... right now, though, it sits in my room
gathering dust.

You know the phrase "You can never go home again" ?  This is how I feel about
the idea that has been kicked around regarding Lego reissuing Classic sets.  I'm
afraid that I would be disappointed.  They might not be as exciting, as
interesting, as they were when I was 8 years old.  I'm afraid that the luster
might be gone if I held a Galaxy Explorer now.  I agree that it was (is) a
fantastic design, but it might seem simple...a bit uninteresting in light of the
parts selection that we have 20+ years later.  I'm sure that plenty of people
who have actually held the Galaxy Explorer recently would disagree with me.
Sure, if I could get a spectacularly impossible deal on it, I probably would
purchase it, or some of my other holy-grails.  In my case at least, I'm afraid
that I'd be wise to let them enjoy the almost mythical status that I have
allowed time and nostalgia to bestow upon them in my mind.  And I can probably
only do this by not owning them.