 General / 14633
Re: Galaxy Explorer (Was Re: Poor packaging by TLC )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:18:52 GMT

x-post added to .space

Paul Baulch wrote:

Tony Priestman wrote in message ...
It's kind of neat in a near-future-tech way, but it just looks..... boxy.
Clunky. Old-fashioned.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. There isn't anything special about
it, it's just a bigger version of 924.

Yes, that's right. In fact, looking at the picture of 924 (I don't own the
set), it looks like one might actually be able to construct the 924 only
using parts from 928.
Now, more than ever, I can see why people like 924 so much. It's more....
compact. Concise. Elegant. Who was it that said, "Perfection is achieved not
when there is nothing left to add, but rather when there is nothing left to
remove"?

Hey, what's wrong with 918? It's the only one I had of the original
trinity of spaceships, and it's great, although I've just noticed that
if you put too much in the storage space at the back and swoosh too much
it clobbers the pilot on the head...

I think that's what's great about the original 1978/9 space sets- a
cohesive colour scheme, all grey, blue and trans yellow, except for the
white and black rockets. Just look at some of the catalogues from 1979:

-> http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1979/c79us/c79us-12.html
-> http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1979/c79us/c79us-13.html

You can imagine that 918, 924 and 928 are easily part of a single,
cohesive fleet, along with their bases; I expect that's why I like
Futuron so much- it reclaimed the idea of fixed colour schemes after
years of multicoloured 'things' that worked fine on their own but didn't
really work together. Admittedly, the single-year themes got a bit
wearing after that.

The other thing I like about 918 is the fact that, despite only having
about 100 pieces, it's completely enclosed, with a proper cockpit-
something that was completely lacking in later small- to medium- sized spaceships.

:: paul
:: http://www.songtwo.demon.co.uk/lego/