 Castle / 5899
Re: Making Pikes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:19:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.castle, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:

I believe the large Asain style spear/axe polearms are • shurikens...I could
be wrong though...

No, those asian polearms are Naginata.  Shuriken are • those little pointy metal
stars everyone loved in the mid-80's.  They can be seen • painted on the torsos
of most Lego ninja, tucked in their belts.

That's right...throwing stars...I was pretty good with
those...I couold
almost play cricket or 301 with them)

I stand corrected = )
(I just couldn't think of the name...there is also a
Chinese variant that I
don't remember now either...amazing those things you
forget when you are
almost 31...lol)

As an aside, Naginata are often disparaginly referred • to as a "woman's weapon",
because apparently they were often used by unskilled • warriors, like wives, who
were left behind to defend the homes and land.  At • least, that's what I've
heard.

eric

Funny...my teacher in college made a similar remark...He
uttered a Japanese
word that was roughly translated "peasant weapon".
Similar idea, he
described these weapons as being distributed to old men
or injured as a
means of defense.  Essentially, these weapons gave the
weilders a small
chance of dismounting a horse riding assailant while
maintaining a distance
farther than a sword stroke (like any polearm)

                          John