 Castle / 5865
  Making Pikes

I need some pikes for my medieval/renaissance armies and I was wondering what solutions others have used, the standard spear being too short for a pike. I thought of shaving off the axe blade from the gray halberd, which leaves a longer spear, but (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) spear (...) Fake it. :) Have your minifigs standing sideways in the pikewall, so that the "pike" is angled down through both their hands. In the upper hand, have them holding a spear, with as much extension as they can get. In the back hand, (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) be (...) That works for the Swiss, who were very agressive, though I don't think the Scots were that sophisticated. Good suggestion. (...) That's the way I currently have them (lightsabre blade, lightsabre handle, spear). I could horrify (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) Why not use a lance for the grip part, and attach a spear to the other end? If the minifig holds the lance "backwards", the handle would give ample opportunities for connecting bit to hold the spear. Done in the right way, it could even (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) If it doesn't offend anyone's Lego purism, I would suggest 1/8" styrene rod stock, available at many hobby stores in 12" inch and/or 36" lengths. I've seen them in white, black, dark grey, as well as a few translucent hues, and they fit minfig (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) be (...) Another possibility which just occured to me is to use those 'whip' antennae. Doesn't the Desert Skiff come with a couple in brown? One of them would look a bit goofy, but a forest of them would be cool. James (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) what (...) I (...) While that would certainly offend people's sense of purity, it is a good idea, of course there is a "pure" solution, take some of that thin flex-tube and cut it to appropriate lengths. I think it can be found in grey or (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) what (...) I (...) An interesting solution except I'm not going to put 'em in the pencil sharpener - I mean, then they'd be sharp (ouch, look, blood!). I suppose the key is for them to properly fit minifig hands and be able to put standard (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) This is a lot like what we did when we needed to make Japanese spears for a game a few months ago, we reversed the lances and attached sabers to the butt ends (rather than spears). You can find pictures of them at (URL)Done in the right way, (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) with 1x1 round and katana. Either style is fine for a naginata, but not quite what I'm looking for in a western pike. (...) Ummmm, errr, I was refering to the Scots methods of pike-handling as opposed to the Swiss. The Swiss were capable of (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) whatever) (...) to (...) Ok, I am away from my legos, so I can't test this, but tell me what you think, cause after all, I seem to be famous for my makeshift weapons. How about if you did this. Take a lance, turn it around, and put two 1x1 (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) I had a good time tinkering with Lego (okay, okay, playing with Lego, stop twisting my arm) last night. Best visually sans color is the lightsabre with a spear in the other end. No huge out-of-proportion pieces. Is there a black lightsabre (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) The Star Wars A-Wing has two of them in black. JohnG, GMLTC (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) Even longer, the little Xteam hangglider has some slightly longer ones in black as well...they might work even better, not sure. (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) I just read your game story, and it's great! I'm sorry the archer had to have happen to him what did happen to him (so as not ruin it for anyone), and that poor grey ninja made me feel sad. But the Timmy Lords were excellent. (Off topic, I (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) I believe the Emperor's cane is also one in the SW Sith figure pack. John (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) For the non-purists, I may have just stumbled upon another solution. I was walking past the coffee machine here at work, and noticed they have small black straws for stirring the coffee. I picked on up, and thought "that would fit a minifig (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) have (...) The Naboo swamp has four dark gray ones for the stap fighter thingies. Sean (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) No (...) I (...) matching (...) live (...) And the A-Wing has black 4 stud long rods, which I will be adding soon to my sales page, along with many dark gray rods as well. Scott S. -- Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> (URL) Page -> (...) (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) suggestion. And no, faced with someone weilding a claymore, I'm not going to call him unsophisticated, or make fun of haggis, or suggest that he might be overly thrifty. I would probably just back away slowly. eric (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) Great pics! I like your Ninja theme game variation...heck I really lke the Bamboo glade idea too! (...) I will have to read the other messages in this thread shortly... I believe the large Asain style spear/axe polearms are shurikens...I could (...) (24 years ago, 30-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) No, those asian polearms are Naginata. Shuriken are those little pointy metal stars everyone loved in the mid-80's. They can be seen painted on the torsos of most Lego ninja, tucked in their belts. As an aside, Naginata are often disparaginly (...) (24 years ago, 30-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) weapon", (...) Prior to the Edo period, the Naginata was a weapon used on the battlefields by samurai. The Edo period was relatively peaceful, and women of samurai families were trained with the Naginata. This is where the tradition of women (...) (24 years ago, 30-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Naginatas and George Lucas (was Re: Making Pikes)

(...) families (...) I've done some research and found some more information. I quote the following: Women, usually of high-rank, were allowed an education and training in martial arts. It was not considered unusual for clan princesses to be taught (...) (24 years ago, 30-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) To be clear, I didn't say *I* referred to the Naginata disparagingly as a "woman's weapon". I am quite aware of the damage one of these things can do in the wrong hands. For more information, play Kyoshiro in Samurai Showdown III on the Sony (...) (24 years ago, 30-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) shurikens...I could (...) those little pointy metal (...) painted on the torsos (...) That's right...throwing stars...I was pretty good with those...I couold almost play cricket or 301 with them) I stand corrected = ) (I just couldn't think of (...) (24 years ago, 30-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) As far I understood from my studies, the military history of medieval Japan is basically divided into two sections, divided by the development of the shogunate. The shoguns began to encourage sword-worship and a harsh division between the (...) (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) I seem to recall hearing of one diminutive warlord who greatly favored the use of a short-barrelled arquebus for controlling unruly crowds and was thereafter referred to as the Sawed-Off Shogun. Dave! (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) advantage (...) OOoooooOOoooo, hurl, puke, vomit. Just for that, I'll ruin the joke: it was called a blunderbus (if you want the shot-gun effect. A musketoon if you mean a short-barreled solid ball shooter. Nyahh. :-) Bruce (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) I thought a musketoon was one of those coconut-flavored cookies. Dave! (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) Naw, a musketoon is a kid that wears mouse ears and sings and dances on tv. (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.pun)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) And in later years gets implants. Dave! (24 years ago, 31-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.pun, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Making Pikes

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:G069wt.GDI@lugnet.com... (...) tv. (...) I thought we were talking about Pikes not Spears. -Jon (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.off-topic.pun, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Making Pikes

How about using the straws that come in the pod racer set or the gungan patrol, cut to length, take the pneumatic tubing, cut to a 5-10mm length, and a spear. The tubing should be able to join the spear and straw. Cutting the tubing should be (...) (24 years ago, 1-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) For pikes? Well, this idea came to me, and it works fine, even though it does look a slight bit blocky in the joining section. First you take a part #3848 castle pike and then take a part #3673 Technic Pin black, and then you take a part #3957 (...) (24 years ago, 2-Sep-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) Appologies for coming into this discussion a little late, but I've found a good way to create pikes involves taking a lance, adding a technic peg to the end without guard, and adding a spear to the end of that...makes a decent length weapon. (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) The technic connector has seen more use of late for this find of stuff (pikes and naginata). Not as heavy looking as the one-by-one round, nor as gaudy as the chrome lightsabre handle. I think the lightsabre blade/peg/spear works better than (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) I'd certainly have to agree with the appearance difference...however, if you're doing a scene with pikemen inside a shielded area with other soldiers around them, then no-one will be able to notice the handguard...and it does make it easier (...) (22 years ago, 9-Jan-02, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Making Pikes

(...) Let's give it up for Jon Palmer. That was one heck of a pun! Dave! (16 years ago, 26-Jul-08, to lugnet.off-topic.pun)