 Castle / 5877
Re: Making Pikes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:17:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mike Rayhawk writes:
In lugnet.castle, Eric Joslin writes:
Why not use a lance for the grip part, and attach a spear to the other
end?  If the minifig holds the lance "backwards", the handle would give
ample opportunities for connecting bit to hold the spear.

This is a lot like what we did when we needed to make Japanese spears for a
game a few months ago, we reversed the lances and attached sabers to the butt
ends (rather than spears).  You can find pictures of them at
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/games/n-setup.htm

I like the ones with what looks like the toilet-plunger (flag-holder, whatever)
with 1x1 round and katana.  Either style is fine for a naginata, but not quite
what I'm looking for in a western pike.

Done in the right way, it could even suggest the "lack of sophistication"
of Scots (although anyone capable of making and weilding a claymore seems
pretty sophisticated to me).

More properly stated, if you meet someone who has made and is wielding a
claymore, are you going to tell him he's unsophisticated?

- Mike Rayhawk.

Ummmm, errr, I was refering to the Scots methods of pike-handling as opposed to
the Swiss.  The Swiss were capable of much more offensive action than the
Scots.  Considering the latter were often facing longbow armed troops, this
proved decisive on more than one occassion.

And I ain't arguing with anyone slinging a sword whether he made it or not.
:-)

Bruce