 Castle / 5872
Re: Making Pikes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 17:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I need some pikes for my medieval/renaissance armies and I was wondering • what
solutions others have used, the standard spear being too short for a pike. • I
thought of shaving off the axe blade from the gray halberd, which leaves a
longer spear, but it has that clunky squared off section, and a pike should
be longer than a halberd in any case.  I can get a long enough effect with a
spear mated to a lightsabre, though at the cost of a rather unsatisfying
color combination.  Any suggestions?

If it doesn't offend anyone's Lego purism, I would suggest 1/8" styrene rod
stock, available at many hobby stores in 12" inch and/or 36" lengths.  I've
seen them in white, black, dark grey, as well as a few translucent hues, and
they fit minfig hands and can easily be cut to scale length and honed with a
pencil sharpener.

Just a thought,
    Dave!

An interesting solution except I'm not going to put 'em in the pencil sharpener
- I mean, then they'd be sharp (ouch, look, blood!).  I suppose the key is
for them to properly fit minifig hands and be able to put standard Lego
pennants on them.

I'll drag along a few figs, spear, harpoons (to see if they can fit into the
hollow tube versions Frank mentions) and pennants to the local Hobby Shack, or
whatever name they changed to recently.  Model train stores have that kind of
stuff, if I remember.

Bruce