 Castle / 5894
Re: Making Pikes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:17:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.castle, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:

No, those asian polearms are Naginata.

As an aside, Naginata are often disparaginly referred to as a "woman's • weapon",
because apparently they were often used by unskilled warriors, like wives, who
were left behind to defend the homes and land.  At least, that's what I've
heard.

Prior to the Edo period, the Naginata was a weapon used on the battlefields by
samurai.  The Edo period was relatively peaceful, and women of samurai families
were trained with the Naginata.  This is where the tradition of women using
the Naginata came from.

I personally wouldn't be disparaging when referring to the Naginata.  With the
length of a bo (staff) and a wide, cutting blade like a sword... it is not a
weapon to be taken lightly.  It is very effective at cutting down charging
cavalry and it could probably help you deal with that proverbial "guy with the
claymore" everyone keeps discussing.

Tony